This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Almond Breeze

Buck22

Buck22 Rookie

Hi All,

This is my first post - been lurking for a while.

I've been searching for a while to find a milk substitute since I have trouble with real milk (lactose?). I can't drink anything except water and home made strawberry juice without reacting. I finally thought I found the answer when I found "Almond Breeze" made by Blue Diamond (Growers). It says gluten free on the label, it doesn't have lactose, and it has no corn starch/syrup, but I still have a very bad and immediate gluten reaction to it (gas, stomach gurgling, diarrhea, dermatitis herpetiformis , etc.) Althought it says gluten free it does have a couple of suspect ingredients, namely "natural vanilla flavor with other natural flavors". I haven't called them yet since I just confirmed my suspicion this morning (Sunday), but I was wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience or reaction to this problem.

Regards,

Richard

Markham, Ontario, Canada

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Anonymousgurl Contributor

I react to nearly all milk substitutes as well! So you're not alone. Unfortunately though, I can't be of much help to you. I haven't exactly figured it out either. I HAVE figured out though that I react to anything and everything with oil and/or fatty acids in it...so that would be the oil in rice milk and the almonds in almond milk. Are you okay with oils and fats?

Buck22 Rookie

Yes, fine. All except corn oil that is.

Regards,

Richard

I react to nearly all milk substitutes as well! So you're not alone. Unfortunately though, I can't be of much help to you. I haven't exactly figured it out either. I HAVE figured out though that I react to anything and everything with oil and/or fatty acids in it...so that would be the oil in rice milk and the almonds in almond milk. Are you okay with oils and fats?
burdee Enthusiast

I believe Almond Breeze products contain soy. I tried those when I was searching for a gluten free, dairy free, soy free product. I attributed my reaction to the soy contained in that brand of almond milk. I now use Pacific brand of almond milk.

BURDEE

Lister Rising Star

i drink almond breeze every morning usualy use it on my cereal, never had any problems but i also dont have problems with soy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI

Patti thanks for alerting me to this thread.

I can usually tolerate the soy lecithin but maybe not in this

will sure try to find yours.....pacific brand

good luck everyone.

I did like the taste.

judy

Blue Diamond Vanilla Almond Breeze - 32 oz - 12 Pack AS-SP064] $37.19

Gluten Free

Ingredients: Water, evaporated cane juice, almonds, tricalcium phosphate, vanilla extract, sea salt, potassium citrate, soy lecithin, carrageenan, vitamin E acetate, vitamin A palmitate and vitamin D3.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Almond Breeze is gluten-free, but contains carageenan, which can cause digestive troubles:

Some folks can eat just about anything. Some people might

have no problem producing a tall glass of homemade soymilk,

then converting it to chocolate milk by adding the

following ingredients: Three teaspoons of sugar. One

teaspoon of chocolate powder. Two tablespoons of Vaseline

petroleum jelly. The Vaseline might produce gastric

distress, and the soymilk drinkers would erroneously

conclude that they are "allergic" to soy. Some people

do not experience gastric discomfort caused by the

Vaseline-like food additive, carrageenan. Many people do.

Carrageenan is a commonly used food additive that is

extracted from red seaweed by using powerful alkali

solvents. These solvents would remove the tissues

and skin from your hands as readily as would any acid.

Carrageenan is a thickening agent. It's the vegetarian

equivalent of casein, the same protein that is isolated

from milk and used to thicken foods. Casein is also

used to produce paints, and is the glue used to hold

a label to a bottle of beer. Carrageenan is the magic

ingredient used to de-ice frozen airplanes sitting on

tarmacs during winter storms.

Carrageenan is a gel. It coats the insides of a stomach,

like gooey honey or massage oil. Digestive problems often

ensue. Quite often, soy eaters or soymilk drinkers react

negatively to carrageenen, and blame their discomforting

stomachaches on the soy.

High weight molecular carrageenans are considered to be safe,

and were given GRAS status (safe for human consumption) by

the FDA. Low weight carrageenans are considered to be

dangerous. Even SILK admits this.

more here:

Open Original Shared Link

google carrageenan for more info :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Buck22 Rookie

Thank you for all of your feedback. Not sure if you're in the States, Judy, but here in Canada the ingredient list on the side of the package reads a little differently:

Vanilla Almond Breeze

PURIFIED WATER, EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, ALMONDS, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR WITH OTHER NATURAL FLAVORS, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CARRAGEENAN AND SOY LECITHIN

I suspect it might be the carrageenan as Mango has suggested. Whenever I've had a problem with dairy: cream and cheeze specifically, that ingredient always seems to be there. Maybe this is why I'm ok with eggs. Maybe it's not a dairy thing, but a carageenan thing.

Thanks,

Richard

HI

Patti thanks for alerting me to this thread.

I can usually tolerate the soy lecithin but maybe not in this

will sure try to find yours.....pacific brand

good luck everyone.

I did like the taste.

judy

Blue Diamond Vanilla Almond Breeze - 32 oz - 12 Pack AS-SP064] $37.19

Gluten Free

Ingredients: Water, evaporated cane juice, almonds, tricalcium phosphate, vanilla extract, sea salt, potassium citrate, soy lecithin, carrageenan, vitamin E acetate, vitamin A palmitate and vitamin D3.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I like homemade nut milk. Guar gum works great to get a creamy consistency. Add banana, applesauce, berries, or whatever other fruit you like for a wonderful smoothie too. For added sweetness, Stevia is my choice.

Buck22 Rookie

How do you make it? Blender or food processer (or juicer?)? Do you have a recipe for me to try?

Thanks,

Richar

I like homemade nut milk. Guar gum works great to get a creamy consistency. Add banana, applesauce, berries, or whatever other fruit you like for a wonderful smoothie too. For added sweetness, Stevia is my choice.
zkat Apprentice
I believe Almond Breeze products contain soy. I tried those when I was searching for a gluten free, dairy free, soy free product. I attributed my reaction to the soy contained in that brand of almond milk. I now use Pacific brand of almond milk.

BURDEE

They do contain soy, I also use the Pacific Brand and love the vanilla flavor. I was so excited to find this. It is hard to find sometimes. The only place I have found it is at Whole foods.

Rusla Enthusiast

I use almond breeze original flavor and have no problems with it and I am highly sensitive.

Archived