Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walter S

Needing More Advice Before My Dr. Appt. Tonight

Hello all. I was terribly sick in the middle of the night! Yesterday afternoon I found myself starving hungry! So with my sandwich, I tried something new. I had a few peanuts. Aren't they gluten-free or no??? The nutritionist has told me to have peanut butter on toast at times and I have with no problem, so I figured peanuts must be okay if penut butter is ok. During the middle of the night I woke up with the most intense cramping and pain in my lower stomach that I have ever felt in my life seriously! I ran to the bathroom and was having diarrhea and vomiting and extreme dizziness. I was also inso much pain that I was practically in tears and yelling for help even though I was alone! I am going to the GI doctor tonight at 5:00

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Were they pure peanuts in the shells? Were they packaged/processed? Some peanuts have flavouring/coating on them that may contain gluten.

Other than that, it sounds exactly like when my mom has bouts of diverticulitis. That's the kind of pain she experiences. There is a link between diverticulitis and celiac......

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Hello all. I was terribly sick in the middle of the night! Yesterday afternoon I found myself starving hungry! So with my sandwich, I tried something new. I had a few peanuts. Aren't they gluten-free or no??? The nutritionist has told me to have peanut butter on toast at times and I have with no problem, so I figured peanuts must be okay if penut butter is ok. During the middle of the night I woke up with the most intense cramping and pain in my lower stomach that I have ever felt in my life seriously! I ran to the bathroom and was having diarrhea and vomiting and extreme dizziness. I was also inso much pain that I was practically in tears and yelling for help even though I was alone! I am going to the GI doctor tonight at 5:00

Walter - it depends on the peanuts! If they are the packaged, salted or roasted kind, they sometimes have wheat flour in the salt or seasonings, so that may have been the culprit. Maybe your nutritionist has some insight to offer.

When you say the doctor suggested peanut butter on toast, I assume you mean toasted gluten free bread?

Sheryll

Hi Walter, I noticed you had another post from the day before about the birthday party issue. I am wondering if you may still be reacting from that. The peanuts of course could be a not safe item, you really should call on your processed foods before consuming if you can.

If you can eat most unprocessed foods right now you will heal faster and then you can add more 'suspect' items in one at a time to see if they cause a reaction. That makes it much easier to pinpoint the offending food.

One thing to also keep in mind is that gluten is an intolerance and for some it is not what we ate today that got us, it is something we had 2 days ago. Many will have seemingly insignificant reactions quickly, for example my tummy will start to growl within an hour of eating gluten but my D shows up 3 days later. Once you have healed you should be able to pick up your bodies 'tells', for some it may be a headache, or joint or muscle pain, for others fatigue after eating, for some insomnia, balance issues, depression and anxiety these are only a few of the signs of a glutening that can show up before the GI issues display.

It takes a bit of time to heal and I hope things resolve for you quickly.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)