This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mac & Cheese

Guest maddiesmom

Guest maddiesmom

Does anyone have a good mac & cheese recipe? I guess I could have posted this on the recipe board but I look at this one more, plus it's for my daughter. That is or used to be her favorite food and I still make it for her using g.f. elbow pasta and velvetta cheese.. she likes it but I can tell she doesn't like it as much as the other.. with the powder orange color cheese.. you know how kids are!! I really don't care for mac and cheese but I thought this kind was alot better than the Kraft kind we used to get.. it is creamier... anyway I would just like to find soemthing she really really likes since she has been so good and accepting of our new way of eating.. Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I buy the frozen gluten-free mac and cheese from Amy's. I love it. I gave up trying to buy a gluten-free box mix. Maybe you'll have better luck.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

You can purchase the orangey powder cheese. It can be found in a blue can. I believe they market it as a "popcorn cheese". Places like wal-mart carry it. I hope you can find it in your area.

Open Original Shared Link .com/Kraft-Macaroni-and-C...g/dp/B000I60JUW

-Jessica :rolleyes:

JennyC Enthusiast

I have read on this board that Kraft sells their orange powder cheese in a can like Parmesan cheese...but I have been unable to find it. :( It is supposed to be in grocery stores near the Parmesan cheese in the can. Amy's boxed mac & cheese is ok if you add extra cheese.

I made this recipe last night. I got it from glutenfreeda.com. Right now they're having a free trial & they have some really great recipes. :) It was really good, but it is not like the boxed mac & cheese.

Mac & Cheese

Ingredients

2 Tablespoon butter, (1 Tablespoon reserved for topping)

2 Tablespoon gluten-free bread flour

3/4 cup milk

1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (plus 1/4 cup for topping)

2 cups dry gluten-free rice macaroni noodles or spirals

Directions

Preheat oven to 350

jesscarmel Enthusiast

I like Annie's gluten free mac and cheese in the box

Guhlia Rising Star

Kraft sells the orange cheese powder in a canister. I think it's called popcorn cheese or something. They carry it at Walmart, at least around here.

For real mac & cheese I use the following:

1 16 oz. bar of velveeta

1 bag of Tinkyada elbows or shells

1 cup shredded cheddar (Kraft or GV brand)

3-6 tablespoons dried minced onion (McCormick) (amount varies with tastes)

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 small jar chopped pimentos (OPTIONAL)

milk (?amount?)

1. Cook Tinkyada according to package directions.

2. While pasta is cooking, cook all other ingredients in a large pot at medium low heat. Adjust heat as necessary.

3. Add milk to cheese mixture until about the consistency of a cream soup.

4. When Tinkyada is done, rinse under cool water and add to cheese mixture.

5. Gently stir over medium low heat until heated through.

6. Serve immediately.

This is great as leftovers too and keeps well in the refrigerator. If I have extra time, sometimes I'll throw it into a baking dish, add some extra shredded cheddar to the top, sprinkle on some paprika and bake until cheese melts. The best part is that the onions aren't detectable to little fingers and mouths. :)

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

FYI,

I just buy the regular kraft mac n cheese and use the powder (discard the pasta).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest maddiesmom

Great.. thanks for all the suggestions... I will try them.. I had thought about just buying the kraft brand too and just using the powder cheese.. I was unsure of how safe it is but since it's in it's own package there is no chance of cc.

Guhlia Rising Star

The chance of CC would come from pasta powder (gluten) being all over the outside of the cheese packet. Unless you wash it off before opening it, there's a good chance of CC. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I just buy the shaker of the same cheese powder. It costs a few cents more, but I feel much safer using it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - plumbago replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - trents replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

4. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

5. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Suzi374
    Newest Member
    Suzi374
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• plumbago
      I'm also a nurse, but one who has worked in chronic care, and to some extent, it is more satisfying to see patients through to a diagnosis (as opposed to working in the ED), but an accurate diagnosis does not occur not as often as it should! Your posting presents a lot of information. But a couple of things I can respond to. One, celiac disease is diagnosed by endoscopy and biopsy of the duodenum. So, pathology will need to weigh in. It's not diagnosed on gastroscopy. (At least, not as far as I know). Two, did you get blood tests for celiac disease? You will need to be eating gluten in order for those to be accurate. Three, where was the CT angiogram (of what)? I could go on and on, but thought I'd start there.
    • trents
      Was a biopsy done when you had your gastroscopy? Concerning your anemia, are you B12 deficient? It's nearly impossible to get sufficient B12 if you are a vegetarian unless you take supplements.
    • Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .