Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kellygirl

Crazy Cravings

HI ALL,

I KNOW THIS WILL PROBABLY SOUND SILLY, BUT I NEED TO KNOW IF IT IS RELATED TO CELIAC DISEASE OR JUST A CARB ISSUE.

I DON'T EAT MEAT, BUT I DO TRY TO GET PROTIEN IN MY DIET IN OTHER WAYS. I GET THESE CRAZY CRAVINGS FOR PEAS, A WHOLE CAN JUST WARM THEM UP AND EAT THEM BY THEMSELVES. I HAVE DONE THIS FOR YEARS. JUST THIS PAST YEAR THE CRAVING HAS STEAMED OUT TO MUSHROOM AND BROCCOLI.

I KNOW IT SOUNDS STRANGE AND NO I AM NOT PREGNANT. I JUST WONDER IF ANYONE ELSE HAS WEIRD CRAVING AND IF SO WHAT ARE THEY CAUSED BY. WHEN IT WAS JUST THE PEAS I WAS SET TO BELIEVE IT WAS JUST MY SUGAR DROPPING, BUT MUSHROOMS AND BROCOLLI? THAT IS JUST PLAIN WEIRD.

KELLY

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, both peas and broccoli do have a nice amount of protein, but the mushrooms don't. I'm thinking there's some nutrient they all have in common, or perhaps the newer cravings are for something else entirely. Both peas and broccoli offer good amounts of manganese, vitamin K, and folate, among other things. Seems the mushrooms are the odd one of the three. As I understand it, a craving won't necessarily be for the ideal food item, but one with which the body is familiar. So it doesn't have to contain large amounts of the thing your body is looking for, only relatively more than your typical diet.

Magnesium assists in nutrient absorption, so I'd recommend that along with the obvious stuff like a multivitamin and such.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.