This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Butterfinger?

Nantzie

Nantzie Collaborator

I don't have candy too often anymore, but a few weeks ago I needed some chocolate (stress!!!) and decided to buy a bag of the fun size Butterfingers, knowing it is on Nestle's gluten-free list. Got glutened. I figured maybe it was because they were the small ones, because I know sometimes the small and holiday shapes of these things have gluten. But I figured it might also be something I did somehow that I just wasn't figuring out. Tossed the bag anyway, just to be sure.

So yesterday I went shopping and decided to get a regular sized Butterfinger. Ate it last night. Glutened. Gah!! Couldn't sleep, wired, nightmares, itchy/crawly skin and scalp feeling, inside of my ears itch, headache, foggy, tired, skin reaction, nausea and bathroom issues. Bah!

Am I the only one who has gotten glutened by Butterfinger?

I'm going to email them and ask about this. Maybe they're made on shared equipment or near something that could be putting out airborne gluten? Who knows, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has suspected they may have had a reaction to it.

I was watching Unwrapped on the Food Network the other day and saw something interesting. While the narrator was saying that the equipment is cleaned thoroughly between batches (in this case to keep colors from getting into the next batch), there was just a guy with a hose spraying it at the equipment. He wasn't even getting up into the corners or anything. Jeez. If that passes as thorough, no wonder people get sick from shared equipment.

I know they do more than what they showed of course, but when I think of thorough I think of teams of celiacs with toothbrushes getting into every nook and cranny. Not some guy standing there like he's hosing off his driveway.

~Pop!~ (That was my bubble bursting, by the way.)

:lol:

Oh, ugh. My stomach...

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dally099 Contributor

hi, could you be sensitive to something else in the chocolate bar, i have issues with soy, man do i get itchy and hives. so it could be something like that. i dont eat any candy or choco bars anymore, only the stuff that i buy from Enjoy Life (allergan free food gluten-free as well). sorry to here you got sooo sick :unsure:

jerseyangel Proficient
I know they do more than what they showed of course, but when I think of thorough I think of teams of celiacs with toothbrushes getting into every nook and cranny. Not some guy standing there like he's hosing off his driveway.

:lol: That was funny--but so true....

I think it's cross contamination--I had a similar issue with their chocolate chips :(

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I would tend to think CC also. I wish they would require a shared equipment phrase on anything that is. It makes it hard especially at first when you are just starting to heal. Personally I like to know if I am playing Russian Roulette with my food. It should be my choice to take that chance, not something that happens by accident.

happygirl Collaborator

Nancy...

You poor thing! I'm sorry to hear you were glutened. Especially when you are already so careful, etc. Hope that its a quick recovery.

Laura

Nantzie Collaborator

Thanks guys...

Yea, it's gotta be CC. I don't react this way to soy, although if I eat a lot of it, it can bug my stomach a bit, but not the whole symptom complex. When I first went gluten-free, I thought I'd been glutened by a butterfinger and didn't have one for a while. Then I tried them again and was totally fine. There must be something that sometimes gets cleaned really well and sometimes not.

Guess that about does it for me and Butterfingers.

But they're so crispity and crunchety...

Oh well.

Thanks again everybody.

Nancy

• 6 years later...
jraven Newbie

YES BUTTER FINGER BAD. I have been CC'd by a normal butterfinger. I do not eat sweets or GMO's but it is almost Easter, I am triathlon training and grabbed one and The feeling which I only get from being glutened, happened. It was not the other ingredients. It has happened with other products that are labeled gluten free. I have to wait on a call back to see if that bunch could have been cross contaminated. They do not change the labels for a batch of candy bars. I started to think I was diabetic but I am not it is cross contamination. I also am one that is sensitive to low ppm of gluten. the 20ppm is too much for me. My brain will feel like some one poured acid on it and I go comatose. Drool and all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

YES BUTTER FINGER BAD. I have been CC'd by a normal butterfinger. I do not eat sweets or GMO's but it is almost Easter, I am triathlon training and grabbed one and The feeling which I only get from being glutened, happened. It was not the other ingredients. It has happened with other products that are labeled gluten free. I have to wait on a call back to see if that bunch could have been cross contaminated. They do not change the labels for a batch of candy bars. I started to think I was diabetic but I am not it is cross contamination. I also am one that is sensitive to low ppm of gluten. the 20ppm is too much for me. My brain will feel like some one poured acid on it and I go comatose. Drool and all.

Just an FYI - this is a thread from 2007. Products change overtime. I think Butterfinger is considered gluten free last I looked.

Open Original Shared Link

gilligan Enthusiast

Just an FYI - this is a thread from 2007. Products change overtime. I think Butterfinger is considered gluten free last I looked.

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for pointing this out!!

Archived