Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mom2two

Distended Belly

My daughter, age 5, was diagnosed 8 months ago with celiac and casein intolerance. Since going on a Gluten-free Casein-free diet she is off almost all of her meds and her behavior is much better. However, she still has a distended belly. SHe is quite thin except for her tummy. Sometimes she can look pregnant. I thought this was a symptom of the celiac and it would go away, however it hasn't. Could the Miralax she's on be the cause? We are debating whether she might be allergic to soy as well but I'm not sure I, or she, could take another allergy!?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My son who was diagnosed about a year and a half ago is just now starting to have a less distended belly, even though all his ttg levels were normal within 6 months of the diagnosis. He doesn't have a lot of baby fat left at all; he's very muscular and active and the tummy, even when it's sticking out quite a bit is hard. I think it takes awhile for the muscles to be "re-trained."

Guest maddiesmom

My daughter is also on Miralax and has only been g.f. for about three weeks and her belly still looks "bloated" I have read it takes a while.. she also has gastritis (spelling?) and I'm not sure how long that takes to go away. I have read on her it just takes time for it to get back to normal. I am starting to feel a difference though.. her belly doesn't feel as hard. Some of clothes are fitting better.. not as tight around her belly.

Juliet - You mention having your son's TTC levels checked? Is this through a blood test and could it be done by the pediatrician? We have had zero follow up and I'd really like to be able to check and see if she is still getting gluten. Is that what it shows?

Kasie

It's the same blood test/screening that they first ran when they were trying to see what was wrong with him in the first place, and it checked his ttg levels, and maybe his tga levels, too. I know someone here on the board will know exactly what is needed. They did it at a 6 month check up after diagnosis and all was well. Our pediatric G.I. told us that since his levels were all within normal range, that it meant we had the diet under control and also that we only needed to do this test once a year from now on as long as each time the levels were within the normal range.