Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest jokamo

Substitute For Cheese Whiz?

Guest jokamo

I have this recipe for broccoli, rice and cheese casserole from when I was young, but I just realized that the cheese whiz that I was using has Worstishire (sp) sauce in it. does anyone know of a good substitute for cheese whiz?

Thanks everyone!

Jodi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Wal-Mart brand cheese type whiz is gluten free and is marked so right on the packaging. Many of their Great Value brand products are marked gluten free on the packaging. One of my favorites in their boxed potatoes.......either scalloped or au gratin. They are so good and much cheaper than the name brand ones. Barbara

Cheese Whiz is a Kraft product. Kraft will always disclose any gluten, in plain English, no matter how small the amount. This is their labeling policy: http://www.kraftfoods.com/health/articles/...ree_0623031.pdf

If wheat, rye, barley or oats isn't in the ingredients and it's Kraft brand Cheese Whiz, not some other brand, it should be fine. A lot of people are dairy intolerant when they're first diagnosed though, so that may cause problems of it's own.

If it's not Kraft, let us know the brand and maybe someone will know.

I wasn't able to find an ingredient list online and don't use Cheese Whiz myself, so maybe someone will be able to tell you for sure if it's safe.

Worchestershire sauce is sometimes a problem, but only if it contains gluten. It can depend on what country you are in though. For example, in the US Lea & Perrins brand Worchestershire is gluten-free, but in Canada it's not.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Kraft Cheez Whiz is gluten-free as well as Velveeta

My name is forgettable, so I invite you to remember this tale." (RG)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, by biopsy, 10/05

T1 diabetic since 2/80

Oh Jokamo! Will you please post that recipe here? It sounds good and I'm always hungry! Would appreciate! Angel :P