Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

isiskingdom

My 1st Anniversary..what Can I Have To Drink?

I am in no way a Drinker but, Its our 1st anniversary and we are headed to the Dells. What drinks are safe? Anyone have a list? Are Fuzzy Navels ok?

Bobbie,

tested positive for celiac 2007

Gall bladder removed 2007

D/C a month after daughter was born 2005

Low Blood Pressure

Fainting disorder

food allergy to Dairy, pork,fish,most peanut butter,nutra sweet,aspartam and more to be determined.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest j_mommy

Are you from Wisconsin???

If you got to the home page of this site....there's a forbidden food list and there's also a list of Alcohol that's ok!!!! I found it very helpful!!!!

If you have had some things to drink and not had a problem I would stick with your usual. I would not pick a special occasion to try and find out if you tolerate distilled grain alcohols. Some do but many do not. Most rums and tequilas are safe, potato vodkas, champange and wine. There are more of course. Try to stay simple and avoid bar mixers unless you can read the label or know the brand is safe. I also avoid anything from the speed bar. The formulas for the mixes that are used are very different from the ones that the same company will use for the stuff in a bottle. For example when I have a rum and coke I request a can or bottle of coke specifically. Your safest bet IMHO is going to be a glass of wine or champagne or a minimal ingredient drink.

The Celiac Sprue Association also had a good dietary guideline page the link is below.

http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_choices.php

This is what they say about alcohol (the bold is my addition):

"Gluten-Free Diet: Basic Diet Choices

Begin your diet with your favorite naturally gluten-free foods. Introduce additional gluten-free diet choices to build a personalized healthy diet. Discuss choices with your physician or dietitian who understand your personal dietary needs.

Alcoholic Beverages

FOUNDATION STAGE:

Wine and brandies without preservatives and added dyes; potato vodka; most rums and tequila.

EXPANDING STAGE:

Distilled liquors known to be from wheat, barley or rye are categorized as rendered gluten-free through processing. If the product is from a gluten source, it does not conform to the diet of those who choose a zero tolerance level gluten-free diet."

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Guest KG in FL
When in doubt, I always enjoy a "MAMOSA"

Champagne with OJ

or just Champagne

or Champagne and Apple Juice (apple mamosa)

or Champagne with pineapple (Pineapple mamosa)

This is a mimosa? Right?

Check Vodka - there are some made from Potatoes. I know this because my sister's boyfriend bought some just in case I wanted to have a drink if I am ever at his house. He is very cool, but I would check vodka's according to my sister's boyfriend everything else but wine has gluten in it. I just avoid it completely to save me the hastle. I can understand wanting to celebrate a special occasion though. So find a good bottle of gluten free booze and have a great time.

Congrats,

Kelly

Guest j_mommy

Here's a list from Celiac.com: Distilled alcohols are gluten-free

Bourbon-Makers Mark

Brandy

Champagne

Cognac

Gin

Kahlua

Rum

Sake

Scotch whiskey

Tequlia

vermouth

Wine(careful of wine coolers though)

Guest KG in FL
KG,

You are correct - its Mimosa.

I have no excuse for that one - I was a bartender for years before my grown up job.

Regardless, I still love them!

Me too! I didn't know if I had been saying it wrong for years or not! Sunday mimosa's for me!! Oh, and I ordered Joan's new pizza crust's that are supposed to get here today. I am getting hungry- it's 5pm and I am holding out for the UPS man - I am going to starve if they don't arrive as planned! I have high hopes they will be as good as her other items... hey, mimosa's and pizza - on Thursday? Sounds good to me!!! Gotta make lemonade out of those lemons!! Take care!