Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Samanthasmomma

Bobs Red Mill Bread Mixes

I like the flavor and texture of these mixes, but only the first day. The next day, (stored in ziplock in fridge) they are crumbly and dry. Is it neccessary to refrigerate these mixes? Or anybody have any tips on how to keep these more fresh?

Diagnosed via bloodwork Celiac April 2007

Intolerance to Dairy June 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use their mixes and the only piece of advice that I have is that once it isn't fresh, that it does better either heated up, or used for grilled cheese, or toasted, etc. It seems to help, for whatever reason.

I made the Pamela's wheat free bread mix for the first time last night and I had eaten my way through a sandwich today before I realized I didn't have to heat it to make it taste good. But I didn't store it in the fridge. A gluten-free baker once told me that most gluten-free flours should either be kept at room temp or frozen. Refrigeration makes them stale. I've generally followed this advice and if I haven't eaten the bread by day 3, I freeze it.

One exception is the Namaste spice cake mix. I make a very hearty nut/flax carrot cake muffin with it and it can at room temp in an air tight container for a week and it doesn't go stale or mold.

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

I like the flavor and texture of these mixes, but only the first day. The next day, (stored in ziplock in fridge) they are crumbly and dry. Is it neccessary to refrigerate these mixes? Or anybody have any tips on how to keep these more fresh?

Says right on the bag of the cornbread mix to store mix in refridgerator after opening. At least my package does. I really don't find it makes much of a difference though, they are still crumbling, I was going to add a little extra xantham gum to my next batch see if it makes a difference or maybe some honey. Will let you know after this weekend. I do all my baking on Sunday.

Kelly