Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ann1231

Anyone Have Trouble With Gluten Free Pantry Brownies?

we thought we'd try them and within 1/2 hour I was in so much pain and then spent most of my evening in the bathroom (sorry :()

they tasted great but oh my gosh! I also bought the spice cake and the favorite sandwich bread but now I'm afraid to make them.

anyone else have trouble with their products?

Ann

hypothyroid

hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)

fibromyalgia

rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)

peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The few time that I have made them, I haven't had a problem. Could it be a pre-gluten free pan? Wooden spoons?

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

The few time that I have made them, I haven't had a problem. Could it be a pre-gluten free pan? Wooden spoons?

great thoughts but no, I just bought a new baking pan and it was new utensils. Since hubby was diagnosed as well we started over with everything in the kitchen so all of it is fresh. I started thinking maybe it was something I'd eaten earlier in the day catching up with me so today I had one small brownie and my stomach again was doing cartwheels and cramping really badly. oh well, at least they tasted good! I think I will try the other products I bought but stay away from the brownies from now on.

Ann

hypothyroid

fibromyalgia

peanut allergy

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

Could it be gluten crumbs in your mixer? (Not in the blades, but up above where they attach--sometimes batter splashes up there and then dries, and then crumbles off when you make something else.)

Besides for another food intolerance, what I was remembering was that until several months went by, all the gluten-free bread substitutes gave me bigger tummy aches than the gluten did. I'm not sure why,unless it was just because my gut hadn't yet healed? I remember eating a sandwich made with gluten-free bread, and feeling like I'd swallowed a brick.

Someone suggested making sure I drink a lot of water with gluten-free breads, and that does seem to help.

Could it be gluten crumbs in your mixer? (Not in the blades, but up above where they attach--sometimes batter splashes up there and then dries, and then crumbles off when you make something else.)

Besides for another food intolerance, what I was remembering was that until several months went by, all the gluten-free bread substitutes gave me bigger tummy aches than the gluten did. I'm not sure why,unless it was just because my gut hadn't yet healed? I remember eating a sandwich made with gluten-free bread, and feeling like I'd swallowed a brick.

Someone suggested making sure I drink a lot of water with gluten-free breads, and that does seem to help.

thank you for the ideas. I didn't use a mixer so it couldn't have been that but I got glutened at the end of March and maybe this aggravated it. My tummy this morning is still rumbly and I have a lot of indigestion so I'll drink alot of fluids today and see if that helps.

Swallowing a brick is a good description, even with the D, I feel like there's a brick in there. And I've got anxiety like crazy this morning and that only happens when I've been glutened but I've been doing all the cooking here lately and I know I haven't bought or made anything with gluten. I don't know what's going on with that.

thank you again for the suggestions

Ann

hypothyroid

fibromyalgia

peanut allergy

Around Xmas time, my son(not sure if he's Celiac) and I tried the gluten-free Pantry's all-purpose flour in a cookie recipie. It hurt both of our tummies but in a different way than glutening. I've never had that problem with other products. It had guar gum insted of xanthan gum so I was wondering if that was it but it is in so many processed products and I haven't had a noticable problem with anything else.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Guest j_mommy

Just an idea.....do those have milk products in them???? I have never made them but maybe you're sensitive to milk????

Just an idea.....do those have milk products in them???? I have never made them but maybe you're sensitive to milk????

that's an idea too, I don't normally drink milk or use it in anything so if this had it, I could have had a reaction to that. I only had to add eggs and oil but it may have had milk products in the mix. Also Missys Mom mentioned the guar gum. I don't know if that was in the brownies or not and I threw the box away when I put the pan in the oven so I can't look it up!

I had a few bites of yogurt this morning and then a baked sweet potato for dinner and my tummy is feeling better tonight. Hopefully this has all passed.....

Ann

hypothyroid

fibromyalgia

peanut allergy

I remember someone saying their new bread machine had glutened them the first time they used it... The coating they put on the pans in the factory may have something in them. I'm so sorry something so good (and decadent) made you feel so bad.

BTW, the spice cake is godd, but it's GREAT with the molasses variation. I grew up on southern gingerbread cake and this is really close. (OK, except the whole rice flour texture thing).

I remember someone saying their new bread machine had glutened them the first time they used it... The coating they put on the pans in the factory may have something in them. I'm so sorry something so good (and decadent) made you feel so bad.

I had that problem with my waffle maker the first and only the first time I used it.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I made them once a little over a year ago and also had problems. I had been extremely careful that there was no cross contamination on my part making them, or anything else I had eaten that day. I never made them again after that. I wouldn't rule out all their products but I just stear clear of the brownies.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

thank you everyone. I feel better after reading all your posts. I did wash the pan before using it but not in the dishwasher with the super hot water so maybe if it was contaminated somehow, I didn't get it all out. I'm glad (but also sorry) to hear that someone else has had problems with the brownies. Surely they don't have gluten??? I really felt horrible though and had a lot of classic symptoms in response to them. My anxiety has lessened thru today but I feel that lethargic, irritable after-feeling.

Thanks again!!!

Ann

hypothyroid

fibromyalgia

peanut allergy