Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swinkler

Tested Negative For Celiac - But Have A Wheat Allergy

Now- I tried calling the dr's office but they had already left for the weekend. Now we just have tp be wheat free- does that mean he can have white flour ??? Because we can have gluten. Please help. Trying to figure out how to make bread for him. He hates the gluten free bread but if i can make it with regular flour that would be great. Any help would be great thanks

sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

White flour is just bleached wheat flour, so it's still out. HOWEVER, you can use Rye flour. Still has gluten, but it isn't wheat. I don't know how rye flour works on it's own, you might need to mix in some potato or corn flour/starch, but it should be better than gluten-free bread. Also, I know some folks with wheat allergies can eat spelt (a more primitive form of wheat). Check with your Dr on that one first, but a frind of mine wiht wheat allergies eats spelt. I found out the hard way that it's not on the gluten-free diet :ph34r:

so, you've got a better shot at the bread thing, but you still need to read the labels, and any flour not specified as something else is wheat.

Now- I tried calling the dr's office but they had already left for the weekend. Now we just have tp be wheat free- does that mean he can have white flour ??? Because we can have gluten. Please help. Trying to figure out how to make bread for him. He hates the gluten free bread but if i can make it with regular flour that would be great. Any help would be great thanks

sarah

Sarah:

You need to talk to your doctor and get some defined answers. What test has he done? What are the results? What is your doctors opinion?

Negative for Celiac, but have a wheat allergy is not saying anything much. You need to define this a little bit from your doctor.

After you get those answers there are some things that will be helpful to you.

Most all flour are wheat based....white flour, wheat flour are all the same. All is dangerous for someone who has Celiac or a wheat intolerance/allergy.

Make sure that you call that doctors office on Monday morning and ask:

I want the result of his tests

What does that mean

Do we need to do futher testing.

Get those answers first , that's a good start.

But to answer your question about wheat bread vs. white flour bread...NO

You have found you self a great source for informatin. Tried and true! Welcome and please feel free to ask away.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

My daughter is allergic to wheat and gluten. You need to find out if there is a gluten allergy as well.

Even if it's just wheat, you will need to read all ingredient labels and that includes cosmetics. Lots of shampoos use wheat in them.