• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Has anyone used this new gluten-free baking ingredient? If so, how did it handle? Did it taste good? How were your results? How was the texture of the baked item?

This looks interesting. According to the Expandex website, it supposedly has a neutral taste. They have some recipes you can try too. I'd guess like anything else, it will take experimentation to hone a recipe for best results.

I purchased some and want to try it. Modified food starch is aleady in foods. Maybe if you ask Expandex about how they do it they'll answer you.

I have been curious about this, but hesitant to try it. I want to know what they do to it to modify it. Is it chemically?

Well yes, it would have to be chemically changed. While it doesn't necessarily mean added chemicals, it does mean that it's no longer what nature intended. I'm wondering what studies have been done on how the human body digests it.

Well I am still looking for people who have used this product to advise as to how their baking turned out or if they purchased anything with it to share with us how it tasted, what the texture was. I am not so concerned about how the ingredient is chemically modified and maybe Expandex has a spot on their site which explains the modification issues.

Well I am still looking for people who have used this product to advise as to how their baking turned out or if they purchased anything with it to share with us how it tasted, what the texture was. I am not so concerned about how the ingredient is chemically modified and maybe Expandex has a spot on their site which explains the modification issues.

They do not, I did email them and ask. But I am not really all that concerned. We modify EVERYTHING we eat in some way, unless of couse you pulled that fish out the water and took a big bite out of it while it was still squirming :D

Yes, let's let Expandex "expand" upon what they do to modifiy the corn starch - let's leave the answer of that question up to them. I am only interested in the final outcome of what the product does to the baked goods. Let's leave the chemcal questions at Expandex's site.

Well I used the Expandex in my gluten-free bread - and we'll slice the bread when it gets cool and I'll update you as to the texture, taste, etc. of this experiment.

As far as I can tell, the dough was "springier" than gluten-free dough regularly is and it shaped itself better in the baking pan and it rose nicely.

I missed the slicing of the bread - hubby did it while I went to store but he said he thinks he noticed a difference when slicing it in the texture and it looked better than usual. I'll update again after I see a slice - right now they are wrapped & in the freezer.

I am interested in trying this out- where do I find it, so far not in my grocery store or health food store yet..

I'll have to look it up. It was Heartland...I got link from website of www.expandexglutenfree.com

got a reply...

Please provide your city and state so I can forward your request to the appropriate person for reply.

Thank you,

Linda Nemes

Corn Products U.S.

5 Westbrook Corporate Center

Westchester, IL 60154

Tel: 708-551-2536

Fax: 708-551-2780

Real useful I know. Why do they need that to answer a my question I do not know, but I told them so we will see where that goes. At least I know someone there READ my email. :)

Has anyone used this new gluten-free baking ingredient? If so, how did it handle? Did it taste good? How were your results? How was the texture of the baked item?

I did try it tonight...I made the white bread recipe from their website. The batter was thinner than I am used to with gluten-free bread, and it had a strong smell, almost like bean flour. The Expandex itself had a similar smell.

The bread didn't rise as high as I expected (although I know my yeast was good). I noticed the loaf was heavy when removing it from the oven.

Finally, I tasted it. It was dense, heavy, and gummy...almost "tacky." This was particularly strange since I didn't use any xanthan gum (although I guess this is what the "modified" part of the modified tapioca starch is). There was also a funny taste to the bread.

Bottom line: Expandex is not worth it. At more than $10 (with shipping) per pound, the results would have to be spectacular for me to justify spending that much. Judging from the results I had tonight, I can think of several "regular' gluten-free recipes that are far better.

Hope this helps everyone avoid this trouble and also save some money!

I just got home from the Gluten Free Summit in Denver, CO and Carol Fenster uses/used Expandex in some of her breads. They had breads there with the Expandex in them. They were really good. I wonder how you have to play with the flours and ingredients to get the good taste, but I will be trying some soon. There is a local gluten-free bakery, Celias, that will be bagging the Expandex in 1 to 2 pound bags and selling them for about 3 bucks. They gave us the info at the summit. Their website is wheatfreefood.com

I added it gradually to my breadmix (Gluten Free Pantry) and everytime I increased it the results were better and better.