Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know which products are safe. I want to dye my hair and put highlights but i dont know which ones are safe. I want like an brown color with light brown highlights.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I get my hair done at the salon. Since my stylist is the one to touch the color and since she washes it out afterward, I don't worry about it.

If I were coloring at home I'd be more concerned.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Loreal makes some that are safe. There are other companies also. It is especially important if you use a level 2 color that washes out gradually to make sure it is safe. Most companies will tell you if you call.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Dear Paula,

I use Waterworks. They contain no ammonia or peroxide, either. They are easier on your hair. I get my dye at Sally's Beauty Supply. These are henna dyes, however. You cannot use those if you use a straightening iron, because it will make your hair fall out. So could using a dye with gluten, though if you have DH.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

A quick warning about henna, if you have used any haircoloring either permenant or wash out do not use henna until after it has all grown out. You could end up with some real interesting colors otherwise. If you have never colored you hair before from what I understand henna is great though.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

A quick warning about henna, if you have used any haircoloring either permenant or wash out do not use henna until after it has all grown out. You could end up with some real interesting colors otherwise. If you have never colored you hair before from what I understand henna is great though.

Dear ravenwoodglass,

My hair was its natural color when I dyed it with the henna. You also could lose your hair if you switch dyes. I think no matter what, people should do a patch test. My mom and grandmother were both hair dressers. There are things you need to be careful about!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Is Aveda colors gluten free??

Unless they have changed recently no. You may want to go to their website and Email the question in case maybe they have one or two that are. Most of their products are not safe though, at least last time I checked.

Gene Test Aug 2007

I still havent died my hair, maybe i need to email a few companies and see what they tell me.

paula

I know that Loreal Feria is gluten-free. I called and spoke to a woman there who told me there are "no gluten ingredients whatsoever" in it.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I know that Loreal Feria is gluten-free. I called and spoke to a woman there who told me there are "no gluten ingredients whatsoever" in it.

Dear Patti,

Thanks for the info on this. I use a different dye, but in case I ever need to switch, I will know what to use! There is so much that is difficult for us. It is bad enough we have to fear everything we breathe or eat or drink, but what we wear as well! Any information that makes this simpler is good!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Dear Patti,

Thanks for the info on this. I use a different dye, but in case I ever need to switch, I will know what to use! There is so much that is difficult for us. It is bad enough we have to fear everything we breathe or eat or drink, but what we wear as well! Any information that makes this simpler is good!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Glad that the information was helpful, Jin.

I've been using the Feria with no problems at all. B)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Glad that the information was helpful, Jin.

I've been using the Feria with no problems at all. B)

Dear Patti,

As far as I know, my dye is safe. I like it because it does not burn your nostrils out, either! I cannot stand those chemicals they put in some of them! It feels like your lungs inhaled fire! The Waterworks smells like watercolor paint. That is bearable!

Sincerely,

Jin

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

I hope i can find the water one, i hate the chemicals that they put in dyes also, But do the water ones have stuff just for highlights also. I really need a lighter color in my hair and highlights lol

paula

I hope i can find the water one, i hate the chemicals that they put in dyes also, But do the water ones have stuff just for highlights also. I really need a lighter color in my hair and highlights lol

paula

Dear Paula,

I am not sure if they have any highlight kits. They might. We get a select number of products here. It is difficult to say. I am going to pick up my dye soon. I will look and see if they have any.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Dear Paula,

I am not sure if they have any highlight kits. They might. We get a select number of products here. It is difficult to say. I am going to pick up my dye soon. I will look and see if they have any.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

thanks.

paula

thanks.

paula

Dear Paula,

No prob! I get it at Sally's Beauty Supply. I do not know if you guys have one or not. I do not think it is just a local place. It seems to be in other parts of the country.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Dear Paula,

No prob! I get it at Sally's Beauty Supply. I do not know if you guys have one or not. I do not think it is just a local place. It seems to be in other parts of the country.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

we dont have one here, but in the city there is one and i could have my aunt pick me up some, she has her beatutican license so gets it at an discount lol

paula

Dear Paula,

I use Waterworks. They contain no ammonia or peroxide, either. They are easier on your hair. I get my dye at Sally's Beauty Supply. These are henna dyes, however. You cannot use those if you use a straightening iron, because it will make your hair fall out. So could using a dye with gluten, though if you have DH.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Hey No Glu Girl

LOng time no talk!!!!! I was wondering about hair color. Waterworks you say? Sally beauty supply Wonderful.... We have Sallys' here too... Katie will be happy if they have a color that we can both use

Talk soon

Lynn

Eat Well To Stay Well

Daughter Dx'd Celiac Jan 2007

Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

we dont have one here, but in the city there is one and i could have my aunt pick me up some, she has her beatutican license so gets it at an discount lol

paula

Dear Paula,

As far as I know, they do not have highlighting or lowlighting in the Waterworks. However, I am going to poke around on the internet and see if they carry them anywhere. We do not get a number of things larger cities do. There is a possibility they have them but we just do not see them here! My mother and my grandmother on the other side of the family used to be beauticians! I thought about doing it, but I have Fibromyalgia and too many chemical sensitivities.

Dear Lynn,

I just remembered I was supposed to e-mail you! :o I am so sorry! I forgot! Unless someone e-mails me first, I will normally forget! The hair dye is a henna, so keep in mind if you ever want to change it, you will have to get it stripped professionally. Also, never use a straightening iron or get a perm using this type of dye, because it will cause your hair to fall out! My mother's hair dresser told her that. I had thought about changing my hair, but when I found out how big of a pain it would be, I decided to stick with being a raven-haired beauty! I think it suits my personality more anyway!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001