• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Ellie2

Has Anyone Tried Any Kind Of Chinese Medicine To Help With Dh And/or Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have just been told to go gluten free by my doctor - no biopsy yet, but I feel like I have been run over by a bus - in bed a lot, no energy etc. My DH is coming back since I went gluten fee (on tuesday last week) nightmare!

I am wondering if anyone has tried chinese medicine? for DH and or celiac disease. I am thinking of trying it if my biopsy proves what I am sure it will!

Can anyone that has tried chinese medicine, tell me if it worked and if so, what it was the chinese doctor gave you to take.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

I've never tried it, but I do think very highly of Chinese medicine, as long as you have a doctor who understands that whatever he gives you must not contain gluten!

I assume that you would want something that can help your gut heal and possibly minimize the effects of cc, right? You aren't looking for something to "cure" celiac so that you can eat wheat again, are you? That would not be something that I would consider safe or worthwhile, because you may end up mimimizing the symptoms, but not the actual damage.

Oh--if you are gluten-free now, your gut is already starting to heal, and then your biopsy will be negative, so if you want an accurate biopsy (well, as accurate as possible, considering that it's "hit or miss"--if they don't biopsy an affected area, they'll tell you everything's normal, when it's possible that they just missed the affected area--villi damage can be patchy), you need to continue to eat gluten until the day of the biopsy. (I know--ugh!)

Hello,

I have been seeing an herbalist (chinese doctor) who actually told me i have a severe gluten allergy. it turns out he was totally right. i went to him because of my anemia, exhaustion, stomach aches, etc. he didnt know about celiac, but now that i am gluten-free, i felll almost 100% better. we are waiting for enterolab results to come back, to know for sure. he gave me herbs, which were made specifically for me. he also told me to go dairy free, just because it is so bad for people. i live in LA and this guy is amazing. i odnt know where you live, but the most important thing is to find a REALLY good chinese dr bcuz i had an accupuncturist tell me i was anemic and i ended up at my regular dr eventually where i was told that i would need to be admitted to the hospital bcuz i was so sick. so, moral of the story, make sure they have a good rep, etc.

Good luck!

Kassandra

Yes, that is the problem with Chinese medicine doctors, it is difficult to know if you have found a good one. Although there is an increasing body of knowledge being collected and shared, traditionally practitioners kept their herbal recipes secret, and were passed on only to family members or disciples. Thus you still find that some are good for some issues and not for others.

Here local people tell me that the usual cures for stomach ailments contain wheat. In fact during the last year and a half when I was battling gastritis, they would urge me to each noodles rather than rice, because "wheat is better for your stomach."

So yes, absolutely be clear that they understand what you cannot have.

Regarding cure: Chinese medicine has a different focus that western medicine. They think all illness is an imbalance in the body system, and so try to balance that out. Once that happens the symptoms go away.

So it is possible that it could be very helpful as an adjunct to gluten-free, in terms of helping the system to readjust. Also it does sound like you found a doctor who is knowledgeable.

Good luck!

I tried acupuncture for neuropathy. It did not help.... They suggested herbal remedies but since they could not tell me all the ingredients, I didn't try the herbal remedies.

I have had accupuncture done, and chinese herbs and it really is a miracle cure for me. Before when I got glutened accidentally, I would end up in the E.R. I wouldn't be able to stop both ends from going. I would go into to severe dehydration and the last few times my blood pressure dropped so bad they thought I was going to die. This would all happen within an hour or 2 of being glutened.

Since going to accupuncture, my allergies are gone, my gluten reactions are just the normal stomach ache and diarrhea. I absorb water and don't have to pee every 5 minutes if I drink allot of fluid, my dry skin went away and my dandruff is gone also.

There are other positive side effects I noticed, but can't think of them right now. My accupuncturist is an american, so there is no language barrier issues.

It doesn't happen over night, it takes a little while to get the full affects, but it does work.

I did acupuncture prediagnosis for some help with pain control. It did absolutly nothing for the DH or the D and pain that comes with celiac. The herbal preperations I had been given make me even sicker but the acupucture itself helped with the pain in my joints an muscles.

One thing I found real interesting and so did the doctor was that when I would lay down for my needles I would have my 'livedo reticularis' (purple sploches that covered my whole body) when I would get up it would be gone.... for about 4 hours.

You could give it a try for pain relief but it is not a cure for either celiac or DH. It could very well help speed the healing once you are gluten-free though. But avoid the herbs.