This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spagetti Sauce

pedro

pedro Explorer

Hi everyone, I am looking for a good spagetti sauce. I'm currently using AMYS but it give me lots of heartburn.

Do you think is the sauce or the tomatoes in the sauce?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Any tomato sauce gives many of my family members heartburn -- gluten intolerant and those who aren't are both affected.

It helps me if I drink some raw apple cider vinegar in water before I eat spag. sauce.

Lisa Mentor

Pedro:

When I first started the diet V-8 Juice bothered me and I presumed that it was just a little bit too much acid for me. Now, I have no problem with it and drink one daily.

I have never used Amy's so can't advise on that. All of Classico sauces, both white and red are gluten free. Maybe you can try those after some time.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I make my own sauce.

1 can crushed tomatoes

2 tbs olive oil

1 very small onion

1 half green pepper

2 cloves garlic

5 or 6 fresh basil leaves

Cut veggies in SMALL dice, chop as small as you can. I have one of those food chopper things and make it almost liquid!

Mince Garlic (I have a garlic press)

Saute veggies in olive oil for 5 or 10 minutes until soft and translucent.

Add tomatoes, sprinkle in sugar and salt & pepper.

Bring almost to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Chifinade the basil (roll leaves together and slice in really thin strips).

Add basil after you turn on the heat.

MMMMMMM.

I actually make this recipe in huge huge batches and freeze in quart containers so I don't have to make it every time I need sauce.

PS CarlaB has GREAT advice. The misnomer with acid is that you overproduce, but the reality is you UNDER produce, often. The raw apple cider increases the acididty of your digestive juices and allows you to more easily digest foods.

pedro Explorer

Hi all

I will give it a try.

Many thanks for all of oyur responses.

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

zansu Rookie

Classico seems to be too acidic for my taste. I use the muir glen organic, but it might be too sweet for some.

hangininthere Apprentice

It could be the acidity of the tomatoes, or it could be the oil giving you heartburn.

I have to make my spaghetti sauce homemade, since me and son are also soy intolerant.

Here's a neat tip you can try, it lessens the acid in the tomato and makes the sauce taste sweet and mild instead of tart, works great for me!

You could probably use this trick in storebought spaghetti sauce too!

I put about a teaspoon of baking soda in a double batch of homemade sauce!

When you add the baking soda, it fizzes up and turn orangish like canned Campbell's tomato soup is in color, freaked me out the first time I saw it - then when you stir it up, the fizzing goes away and the sauce looks red again!

You can't taste the baking soda at all! The sauce tastes great, mild and sweet!

Best wishes to all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

hanginginthere - what an interesting tip, I'd never heard of that before at all....where did you hear it? I may try it next time! :D

hangininthere Apprentice

I heard the baking soda/spaghetti sauce tip from a member of another support group I'm on!

I won't make spaghetti sauce any other way now, because it gives it such a sweet mild taste, just like in the spaghetti restaurants, which I love that taste!

You know that baking soda instantly neutralizes acid, takes that tart taste out that isn't even alleviated by adding sugar to the sauce!

For a big bottle of storebought jarred sauce, I would say add a half teaspoon of baking soda for that amount!

Let me know how it turned out for you if you try it, thanks!

Oh, and don't try it with chili or pizza sauce, I tried it for chili and it tasted awful so am not trying it for pizza sauce either, since those two recipes you want a nice tangy tomatoey taste! But I like the mild taste for spaghetti!

Best wishes to all!

Juliebove Rising Star

I always add a bit of lemon juice to my sauce. That works for me!

little d Enthusiast

The last time i made spegetti it was great, no burning when it went down, no heartburn after it was good.

and no D the next day thats the most important thing.

1 pound of browned ground hamburger meat drain the grease if less than 90o/o salt and pepper to taste.

I usually get 1 large or 2 small cans tomato sauce and 1 small can tomato paste this last time I got Del Montes Organic which is Gluten free

I couldn't find the packet with all the spices so I just used, 2 garlic cloves, parsely, basil, that I grind up in my hand. A little garlic salt not to much, and water to make it moist. This makes the tartmess of the tomato sauce not be so bad so I put just a little Brown sugar maybe 3 tablespoons (I never have measured how much I put in so Im just guessing) Then put the Gluten free noodle of choice in with the sauce and I enjoyed it very much.

I can't have fresh tomatos so I do ok with canned sauces and paste. Before I learned about celiac disease I thought my problem was with the sauces and the spices that I put in all my food that I made.

Donna

pedro Explorer
I heard the baking soda/spaghetti sauce tip from a member of another support group I'm on!

I won't make spaghetti sauce any other way now, because it gives it such a sweet mild taste, just like in the spaghetti restaurants, which I love that taste!

You know that baking soda instantly neutralizes acid, takes that tart taste out that isn't even alleviated by adding sugar to the sauce!

For a big bottle of storebought jarred sauce, I would say add a half teaspoon of baking soda for that amount!

Let me know how it turned out for you if you try it, thanks!

Oh, and don't try it with chili or pizza sauce, I tried it for chili and it tasted awful so am not trying it for pizza sauce either, since those two recipes you want a nice tangy tomatoey taste! But I like the mild taste for spaghetti!

Best wishes to all!

This is great I try this. Thanks for tips.

Best regards to you.

Archived