Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mama2two

Crackers, Anyone?

I've been reading what people pack in their children's lunches for school, and I've gotten some good ideas, at home we are gluten-free, but at school my daughter eats regualar lunch, she only has four days left, otherwise I would be sending her lunch. But next year I will send it, if we see an improvement in symptoms over the summer in response to a totally gluten-free diet. She has had some bloodwork that was inconclusive, and our pedi said try a gluten-free diet over the summer, if symptoms go away you can stick with the diet. I have been making our own bread. That has been trial and error. I was wondering what are some good crackers to try. I have orders a few gluten-free products online that were really not good. any suggestions would be appreciated? thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've been reading what people pack in their children's lunches for school, and I've gotten some good ideas, at home we are gluten-free, but at school my daughter eats regualar lunch, she only has four days left, otherwise I would be sending her lunch. But next year I will send it, if we see an improvement in symptoms over the summer in response to a totally gluten-free diet. She has had some bloodwork that was inconclusive, and our pedi said try a gluten-free diet over the summer, if symptoms go away you can stick with the diet. I have been making our own bread. That has been trial and error. I was wondering what are some good crackers to try. I have orders a few gluten-free products online that were really not good. any suggestions would be appreciated? thanks!

The Blue Diamond Nut-Thins are so tasty I had to tell my co-workers to stay out of them and buy their own. The Mary's Gone Crackers brand is another I like but it has a stronger, nut/seed taste that a kid may not like. The gluten-free cracker I've tasted that tasted most like a plain old saltine was the Ener-G Wheat Free Crackers (http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?section=6&cat=6&id=70).

For a Celiac group meeting not long ago, I made gluten-free Pantry French Bread in 2 thin loaves, sliced them and made garlic toast (the easy way, sprayed with gluten-free butter cooking spray and gluten-free olive oil/garlic cooking spray). It was a big enough hit that I decided to make some more to keep in the freezer as a cracker sub. It had a very satisfying crunch.

Also, if your kid likes parmesan cheese, I remember reading about making crackers out of shredded parmesan just by sprinkling it inside a metal cookie cutter or biscuit form and baking until it's melted together and toasted. I've had that type of cracker and, while I like parmesan, it was too salty for me. Hubby liked it though.

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

I also like the health valley rice bran crackers (I get them at whole food, but they also had them at wegmans when I had access to one). They're a touch sweet, but they're pretty good with cheese or hummus or peanut butter.

My favorites are the Whole Foods 365 brand crackers. They make several flavors, and they aren't expensive.

Geoff

Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006

Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

There are some rice crackers (the round ones in the long boxes - check labels) that are good. But I like making my own in a dehydrator. Then I can make all kinds of flavors.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

There are some rice crackers (the round ones in the long boxes - check labels) that are good. But I like making my own in a dehydrator. Then I can make all kinds of flavors.

Tiffany - Recipe please? :D

We get the Ener-G Wheat Free Crackers too, which I think are kind of like Carr's Water Crackers - an unsalted saltine. My kids and I love them and we buy them by the case.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

We get the Ener-G Wheat Free Crackers too, which I think are kind of like Carr's Water Crackers - an unsalted saltine. My kids and I love them and we buy them by the case.

Nancy

I think two or three of my recipes are on the "as promised, a few recipes" post. mostly, I end up making flax crackers, but sun-dried tomato ones too.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Guest lorlyn

Glutino makes a great gluten-free cracker. Liked Blue Diamond crackers but made in a plant that also processes wheat. :(

I second the glutino crackers. They make a "ritz" type one and also one that reminds me of a club cracker. Both are really good.

As for th ener-g cinnamom crackers, they were ok, nothing fabulous but nothing gross either. I remember thinking they tasted very similar to, deep frying cut up corn tortillias and putting cinnamon and sugar on them. For the price I will stick to the deep fried tortillas.

While we're going crackers, has anyone tried the Ener-G Cinnamon Crackers?

http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?se...cat=6&id=65

Every time I go to their website, I swear I'm going to order some.

We sell them in our store. They have not been a good sale item but they do taste good. They have a very cinnamony :unsure: taste but I like them once in a while for a change. They last quite awhile if you take them out of the package and put them in snack size baggies.

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

We sell them in our store. They have not been a good sale item but they do taste good. They have a very cinnamony :unsure: taste but I like them once in a while for a change. They last quite awhile if you take them out of the package and put them in snack size baggies.

Thanks! I'll add them to my next order. They sounded like a good item to have with hot tea or fresh apple slices.

Karen B.

I second the glutino crackers. They make a "ritz" type one and also one that reminds me of a club cracker. Both are really good.

As for th ener-g cinnamom crackers, they were ok, nothing fabulous but nothing gross either. I remember thinking they tasted very similar to, deep frying cut up corn tortillias and putting cinnamon and sugar on them. For the price I will stick to the deep fried tortillas.

Thanks for the info. I used to love the fried tortillas (I've seen them called buenellos down here) but now I watch out for fried foods and fiber content. It was the fiber content that caught my eye. One serving of 10 crackers is only 70 calories, 0 saturated fat and has 5 grams of fiber to it. If they taste good too, that would be another healthy snack to add to the list.

Karen B.

Nancy

I LOVE the Ener-G crackers, plain, they are like saltines!!!!! I take them with me to resturaunts, and on trips (and keep some in the car!). I LOVE LOVE LOVE these!!!! They are the best crackers I have found....I haven't tried too too many, maybe 5, and I just wanted a plain cracker to put peanut butter on, and these are the best I have tried! :)

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005

Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

I LOVE the Ener-G crackers, plain, they are like saltines!!!!! I take them with me to resturaunts, and on trips (and keep some in the car!). I LOVE LOVE LOVE these!!!! They are the best crackers I have found....I haven't tried too too many, maybe 5, and I just wanted a plain cracker to put peanut butter on, and these are the best I have tried! :)

Im addicted to nut thins---best ever!!

Thanks for the info. I used to love the fried tortillas (I've seen them called buenellos down here) but now I watch out for fried foods and fiber content. It was the fiber content that caught my eye. One serving of 10 crackers is only 70 calories, 0 saturated fat and has 5 grams of fiber to it. If they taste good too, that would be another healthy snack to add to the list.

You should make sure they use cron totillias, I make them at home. I haven't seen any that were made out of corn before.

I like the new Pecan Nut-thins. They are great with almond butter

hypothyroid

hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)

fibromyalgia

rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)

peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications