This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Back Strengthening Exercises

Nantzie

Nantzie Collaborator

I've been struggling with back issues ever since we moved in Feb. I got too much into being able to lift heavy things (She-Ra!!) and tweaked my back.

I had some back strengthening exercises from last summer when I did PT, but I can't find any of the papers.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a book or website that has some illustrations for back strengthening exercises.

Thanks,

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
I've been struggling with back issues ever since we moved in Feb. I got too much into being able to lift heavy things (She-Ra!!) and tweaked my back.

I had some back strengthening exercises from last summer when I did PT, but I can't find any of the papers.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a book or website that has some illustrations for back strengthening exercises.

Thanks,

Nancy

I love yoga, and have noticed a marked improvment in my back scince I started. I did a quick and dirty search for you and founf this page:

Open Original Shared Link

and

I do the second sequence daily when I get up in the morning to loosen and streach.

oh, you can use a rolled up towel instead of a "yoga block" and you can use a belt or something else instead of a "Yoga Strap"

oh also, do these on the floor... resist the urge to do in bed... not good for back... i learned from experince!

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Pain Free, by Pete Egoscue.

The exercises are not strenuous, are mostly holding a position for a number of minutes. They realign the structure, relaxing tense muscles. There are maintenance exercises to keep good muscle tone.

I have a pinched nerve in my lower back and was about to have surgery the pain was so bad. A massage therapist recommended this book to me and I immediately went to the library and checked it out. The first time I tried the exercises for the lower back the pain subsided right away. That was several years ago. I've not even thought about surgery again. (The exercises did not cure the pinched nerve from a swollen disk, but did relieve a lot of the pressure - I still have to be careful not to lift heavy objects, but I can live with the restrictions as long as I'm no longer in pain.)

I have eliminated problems with carpal tunnel, tight shoulder muscles, poor gait and many other things that I used to go to a chiropractor for (notice the words "used to").

I strongly recommend the book and you can probably find it in your library. I have a friend who had a severe case of "tennis elbow" whose arm was in a splint and who could hardly bring a spoon to her mouth to eat. She tried the exercises recommended in the book for her problem and within a day or two was out of the splint and a week later the pain was gone (this was after months of following the doctor's recommendations which didn't really help at all.)

CarlaB Enthusiast

The Body Sculpting Bible for Women

Michi8 Contributor

A pilates workout will do wonders for your back. It's all about building your core strength and flexibility, which is important for proper alignment and supporting your whole skeletal system.

Michelle

tarnalberry Community Regular

Given that you did specific PT for your back, I would recommend calling the PT place up, and asking if they can send you another copy of the exercises. They'll have a copy in your file, and there shouldn't be a problem sending you one. (There might be a small fee for photocopies, but that'd be about it.)

Nantzie Collaborator

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm going to look into all of them.

:)

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jnclelland Contributor
Pain Free, by Pete Egoscue.

<a href="Open Original Shared Link .com/Pain-Free-Revolutionary-Stopping-Chronic/dp/0553379887" target="external ugc nofollow">Pain Free</a>

I second this one! The foot exercises in there were what finally fixed my plantar fasciitis.

Jeanne

Nantzie Collaborator
I second this one! The foot exercises in there were what finally fixed my plantar fasciitis.

Jeanne

I actually just ordered this. My husband has foot problems, so I was thinking it would be good for both of us. It's good to hear that it helped.

Nancy

• 2 months later...
ZoFlies Newbie

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy- if your back is bothering you and you have had a back injury in the past, I would recommend working with someone who can watch your movements. You can incorporate at home practice as well, but I would advise doing pilates, yoga, PT... something where an experienced person can watch, and correct, your movements.

Pilates is EXCELLENT for strengthening the back and other synergistic muscles. Check out my profile for more!

Hopefully you are pain free soon!

ZoFlies Newbie

Thanks,

Nancy

Whoops... meant to reply this way, but I copy and pasted instead! Let's try this one more time!

Nancy- if your back is bothering you and you have had a back injury in the past, I would recommend working with someone who can watch your movements. You can incorporate at home practice as well, but I would advise doing pilates, yoga, PT... something where an experienced person can watch, and correct, your movements.

Pilates is EXCELLENT for strengthening the back and other synergistic muscles. Check out my profile for more!

Hopefully you are pain free soon!

Archived