• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

bnsnewman

Medical Alert Bracelets, Etc.

Rate this topic

My sister suggested to me over the weekend that I get one for my daughter (my sister is an R.N.), and the more I think about it, I agree.

I was wondering how many of you have children that wear these?

Guest j_mommy

I don't but I have clients that do! They have a ton of styles that kids would think are fun to wear! But what a great idea!!!! I live in a small town and if I got taken to the ER here my med records that say I'm a celiac would not be here....I may get one for myself!!!

Hi do you have any website that carries the bracelets specially for kids.

Many thanks

In a book that I read there were some interesting cons about medical bracelets that made me think twice about it. If there is an actual life or death emergency do you want the EMT wasting precious time trying to figure out what gluten is and if the medications that they need to give your child to save his or her life contain gluten. Unless my child has an anaphylactic reaction, saving my child's life should be the top priority, not worrying about a possible "glutening."

Just a thought...

This is true.

Thanks for your response

My boys wear them. They say" Celiac, Gluten Free- NO Wheat, Oat, Barley, Rye" The wording was because of space issues.

I mostly have them for school, to remind the teachers.. and other family members took the Celiac more serious once they saw the braclets. I got mine from Stickyjewlery.com There were a bunch of cloth bands to choose from. The claspy thing they use is very hard to open, so the boys can't just take them off themselves. They are totally used to wearing them now and know they stay on all the time. Hope my 2 cents helps..

In a book that I read there were some interesting cons about medical bracelets that made me think twice about it. If there is an actual life or death emergency do you want the EMT wasting precious time trying to figure out what gluten is and if the medications that they need to give your child to save his or her life contain gluten. Unless my child has an anaphylactic reaction, saving my child's life should be the top priority, not worrying about a possible "glutening."

Just a thought...

Good point. I was thinking about getting some to keep on hand for me and my kids. For travel, mostly.

I was thinking about it when we went to Reno a few weeks ago. We went to the buffett and I wasn't planning on eating, but we were worried that they may not let me in just by me saying I had food issues. So I was thinking about getting one to have basically to keep in my purse to add that extra level of official-ness if I need it.

It would also be a good thing if you have to stay in the hospital for anything. You know how the nurses are always checking your wrist bands. Putting it in there with them would just be an easy way to remind them that you need gluten-free food, and any pills verified without having to say it all the time.

For most of us who don't have an anaphylactic reaction maybe a phrase like -

Food intolerance - wheat, rye, barley, oats

Non-emergency reaction

I'm sure that's way too long to fit on a bracelet, but that kind of thing. That way any emergency worker can discount it until they get to the hospital and the hospital can deal with it.

Nancy