This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potato Salad

pnltbox27

pnltbox27 Contributor

except for the risk of cc is it safe to have potato salads etc...from the deli. i cant think of any bad things in a potato salad. or am i wrong????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Norah022

when i first got diagnosed i asked our local grocery store deli if there potato salad was safe for a gluten allergy and then said it was definitely NOT

Lisa Mentor

I would think that they would have a list of ingrediences that you could view. I would never buy it because is always looks discolored and not covered...just looked kinda gross to me.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Except for a wheat bread bakery, there is nothing more "toxic" to us than a grocery store deli.

You will never convince me that the ladies behind the counter are concerned with CC or if they clean their slicers "adequately" or if they clean their utensils. Its actually pretty gross.

Don't take a chance, make your own...

Here's a good recipe

2 pounds large Yukon Gold potatoes, or other waxy, boiling potatoes

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1/3 cup chicken stock or potato-cooking water

2/3 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped celery

3 or 4 slices crisply cooked bacon, chopped or crumbled

2 to 3 Tbs finely chopped pickle, sweet or dill

2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced thin

3 Tbs or so finely chopped fresh chives or scallions, including a bit of their

tender green

Salt and freshly ground white pepper

1 cup or so mayonnaise, homemade if possible

Sour cream, optional

For garnishing

Crisp whole red-leaf or other lettuce leaves

Canned red pimiento, diced; sliced hard-boiled eggs; tomato quarters; parsley sprigs

Peel the potatoes and slice each one lengthwise in half, or in quarters if very large; then cut crosswise into half-round or quarter-round slices, about 1/2 inch thick.

Put the slices in a saucepan with water just to cover and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt per quart of water. Heat to a simmer, and cook the potatoes for 5 to 6 minutes, or until just cooked through. It is essential that they be just cooked through. Bite into a slice or two to be very sure. Immediately remove from the heat and drain the potatoes into a colander, but save a cup of the cooking liquid for dressing the potatoes. Transfer bowl. Stir the cider vinegar with 1/3 cup of the potato water or chicken stock and drizzle this over the potato pieces, turning them gently to distribute it evenly. Let sit 10 minutes to absorb the liquid.

Add the prepared onion, celery, bacon, pickle, hard-boiled eggs, and chives, and season carefully, to taste. Top with 2/3 cup of mayonnaise (or a mix of mayonnaise and a bit of sour cream) and, with a large rubber spatula, gently fold everything together until well blended. Taste the salad and add more salt, pepper, or mayonnaise as needed.

Cover the salad and set aside in the refrigerator for at least an hour or so before serving. If it is refrigerated longer, let it come back to room temperature before serving. Taste and adjust the seasoning again.

sparkles Contributor

I am not sure where you are from but I live in the Twin Cities, MN, and there is a MN brand, Mrs. Gerry's, that will send a list of their gluten-free products. Cub carries their salads in the refrigerator case in front of deli and basically, their deli salads are Mrs. Gerry's. I buy the containers that are packed at the plant to avoid cc in the deli area. I am not sure where they sell their product but it is good and they were very helpful in putting together a gluten-free list for me. In fact, I buy their "old fashioned" potato salad, add some extra eggs, a little mayo, horseradish sauce, and a touch of vinegar and my kids think that it homemade!

Archived