This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sicker Than Even

georgiagirl

georgiagirl Rookie

Hi everyone,

I've been gluten free for about 2 months now. I've had amazing results since going gluten-free - boundless energy, positive mood, not stomach ache, feeling amazing!

That is, up until Tuesday. I didn't consciously eat any gluten (I won't dream of it), but all of my old symptoms (distension, bloating, gas, stomach ache, headache, irritability, depression, weak low energy) came back with a vengeance. I've been that way for the last 5 days and it's only beginning to lift today. I used to have those symptoms in my gluten days, but they weren't as intense and only last about 12 hours or so.

Is this what it's like to be glutened? Are these pretty typical symptoms?

I'd also been eating a large that usual amount of fat, salt, sugar, corn, and beans and had eaten out a couple of times and it's possible there was some hidden trace gluten in there.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks so much!

Georgia Girl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I am sorry that you have been feeling badly.

If you have been eating out, this could be you source. Whether of not you eat gluten free, does not mean that the kitchen utensils in the restaurant would be as strict as you would be at home, nor the CC. Busy kitchens can be a big risk.

You also may find yourself with other sensitivites since gluten free. It is very common.

You could now find out what being "glutened" is all about. I have found that it hits back harder. Or, in the fact that we felt so bad, that we didn't know what feeling good was like.

I would suggest to go back to the basics and get you body back on track and then keep a food diary.

Hope you feel better soon.

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hi everyone,

I've been gluten free for about 2 months now. I've had amazing results since going gluten-free - boundless energy, positive mood, not stomach ache, feeling amazing!

That is, up until Tuesday. I didn't consciously eat any gluten (I won't dream of it), but all of my old symptoms (distension, bloating, gas, stomach ache, headache, irritability, depression, weak low energy) came back with a vengeance. I've been that way for the last 5 days and it's only beginning to lift today. I used to have those symptoms in my gluten days, but they weren't as intense and only last about 12 hours or so.

I'd also been eating a large that usual amount of fat, salt, sugar, corn, and beans and had eaten out a couple of times and it's possible there was some hidden trace gluten in there.

Thanks so much!

Georgia Girl

Dear Georgia Girl,

My guess is you were accidentally glutened. It can take a while to recover. I will not chance eating out. My reaction is too violent. The gastric distress is too much for me! You may want to be careful with the fat amount as well. Celiacs often do not tolerate fats in large amounts. I lost my gallbladder several years ago, so you can imagine how hard on my system that would be. Watching the fat helps. Also, are you dairy free? That is a common intolerance that accompanies gluten intolerance.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

annaleeb Newbie
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much!

Georgia Girl

Hi, just a thought, I am really, really new to all this too......one thing my doc told me was that many people can eat corn and be fine with it, but also in the same form, many cannot eat corn, cause it is a grain. Maybe its the corn, I hope you feel much better soon.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi, just a thought, I am really, really new to all this too......one thing my doc told me was that many people can eat corn and be fine with it, but also in the same form, many cannot eat corn, cause it is a grain. Maybe its the corn, I hope you feel much better soon.

This does bare thinking about. If only for the heavy CC issue. I am a week into a corn exclusion, mainly because I eat little of it and I had a real, real bad experience with corn starch loaded foods and preps for a recent endo and colonoscopy. It took me longer to recover from that than from the diverticulitis I had a week before the tests were done. My intestines were still swollen when they did a CT last week. Don't know if it is the corn exclusion or healing but the 'lumpy tummy' is going down for the first time in a couple years. I'll continue with the total grain exclusion for a few more weeks then challenge. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Ravenwoodglass,

You know, a fellow member of the forum and I were talking about corn recently. He and I discussed how the bees are dying off due to genetic modification of foods. He said he reacts to GMO corn. He can handle natural organic corn. I believe the genetic modification of foods is one reason so many people are developing food allergies.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived