Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest AlabamaGirl

Beer Batter Onion Rings (gluten-free & Rice Free)

Guest AlabamaGirl

My husband and I were frying chicken wings and making Jerk sauce last night, and we got a little crazy in the kitchen ;) and decided to try and make gluten-free onion rings. I went about it without high hopes in their success, but a lovely surprise awaited me with the first bite. Hope you love them as much as we did!!! They were unbelievably good and you'd never know they were gluten-free.

Beer Batter Onion Rings

1 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Pancake Mix

1/4 cup coconut flour

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp ground black pepper

2 tsp sea salt, plus additional salt for dusting

1 1/4 - 2 cups gluten-free Beer (we used Redbridge, though I've heard you can even use Club Soda or Perrier)

Vidalia onions, sliced & separated into rings

Oil of choice for frying

Mix together dry ingredients, then add 1 1/4 + cups of beer to form a nice batter. Let rest for 30 minutes to one hour, adding additional beer as needed to maintain desired consistency. (Batter should be thick enough to hold easily to onion.) Heat oil to 375 degrees F. Dip onion rings into batter and drop into fry basket. Fry until golden brown. Dust with sea salt and serve.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Those sound really yummy. Thanks for sharing.

A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

Someone from my celiac disease Support Group gave me a bottle of Redbridge beer, but I'm not a beer drinker. I plan to try your recipe, because I LOVE onion rings! Thanks for the recipe.

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

What other flour can I use in place of coconut flour? Thanks

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

Thanks!! I've actually been craving onion rings lately :)

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Guest AlabamaGirl
What other flour can I use in place of coconut flour? Thanks

A rice flour might work, but I can't eat rice so I didn't try it. The coconut flour really helps the batter thicken, so arrowroot might work. Someone else who is a better cook than me might have some advice.

For Christmas Eve we have hors d'oeuvres night. I made gluten-free battered onion rings several weeks beforehand. I coated them with the batter and placed them on a cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap. I froze them on the cookie sheet. This way they freeze as individual pieces. Once frozen, I put them in a container. I deep fried them up on Christmas Eve and they were great!