This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Going To Give Up Eating

isiskingdom

isiskingdom Contributor

It doesn't matter what I eat I end up feeling sick. I know I'm not getting glutened so what is it? I feel fine if I don't eat but, since I have low blood pressure I have to eat eventually. We had our 1yr anniversary on Sunday and we were up in the Dells I brought my own food so I would be safe but, half hr after felt sick. I do not understand. I called my doctor and they said they would call me back and tell me what the doctor thought. They called me this morning and just expected me to swallow the camera pill not explaining a darn thing to me. What is this going to do? I turned it down once before because if it doesn't pass through in the 8 hrs they have to cut u open and find it. I don't want to go through another surgrey.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loraleena Contributor

What reactions do you have??

Belinda Meeker Apprentice
It doesn't matter what I eat I end up feeling sick. I know I'm not getting glutened so what is it? I feel fine if I don't eat but, since I have low blood pressure I have to eat eventually. We had our 1yr anniversary on Sunday and we were up in the Dells I brought my own food so I would be safe but, half hr after felt sick. I do not understand. I called my doctor and they said they would call me back and tell me what the doctor thought. They called me this morning and just expected me to swallow the camera pill not explaining a darn thing to me. What is this going to do? I turned it down once before because if it doesn't pass through in the 8 hrs they have to cut u open and find it. I don't want to go through another surgrey.

Hi. I'm new to site but did u happen to change any of ur shampoo,soap,deo,fabric sft,lnd.soap, maybe it's one of them glutened ya.......or maybe it's something u r drinking, keep a diary like we do on our son of everything he comsume's i know it's a pain in the rear but it helps when he gets sick to go back and say well that's another no no :) I hope u have Happy Anv. :) and get feeling better soon>here to listen Bea

isiskingdom Contributor

I have pain in my right side or across my stomach, also nausea a headache and feeling like my back end is going to explode and Very tired . I cut out dariy. I have been keeping a food diary since I found out. I also know that its no shampoo or anything like that since I switched to Dove and I know its safe. I was dignosed a month and half ago I was told I should feel better but do not one bit.

deesmith Apprentice
I have pain in my right side or across my stomach, also nausea a headache and feeling like my back end is going to explode and Very tired . I cut out dariy. I have been keeping a food diary since I found out. I also know that its no shampoo or anything like that since I switched to Dove and I know its safe. I was dignosed a month and half ago I was told I should feel better but do not one bit.

Happy anniversary. Sorry to here you are still so sick from eating.

It took me quite a while. I've been gluten free for maybe 7 months. But I don't think that's a true number because I messed up a lot for at least the first 2-3 months. I found that the most difficult things are hidden gluten and cross-contamination. I've also found that I'm very sensitive.

I was drinking grapefruit juice every morning, thinking that was fine. However, I finally read the label more carefully and it stated "natural flavoring". I stopped drinking that and actually noticed a change right away.

I stay away from the kitchen at work all together. And I RARELY go out to eat. I've gone out 3 times in 7 months and once was fine and two were awful. I am still trying to get over going out to eat on Saturday! Just starting to feel much better today.

I'm not saying you're not diligent, but just be careful of the hidden gluten and cross-contamination issues.

Also, remember it takes some people a long time to even begin to heal. I remember quite well wanting to give up eating! Hang in there.

dee

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Welcome to the board!

Don't get down on yourself, this stuff is hard and it takes a awhile.

It took me a full year before I felt a great deal better!

alamaz Collaborator

A month and a half is not very long. At first I felt great and then all of the sudden not so great. I'm about 2.5 months into this and I still have good days and bad days. I keep finding trigger foods also. One thing I can't digest is sweet potatoes, avocados and green peppers. Can you try eating bland and adding in things as you go? So for a few days just basic chicken or fish with a bit of seasoning, steamed veggies and maybe rice? Then add in slowly. Also, if I eat spinach or a lot of raw veggies then I don't feel so hot either. It could also be the amount of fat in the meal. So if you're eating high fat meals then you can't absord it because it's too hard on your system. I know how hard it is. I've been stuggling a lot the past few weeks because I really want to eat normally again but when I do go off and eat (somewhat) normally, I still get sick. GRRRRR! It's a process. Try to be patient and easy on yourself. Another thing I find to be hard to digest is gluten free baked goods- cookies, bread, pastas, cake etc. Try to eliminate or avoid those as much as possible for now. The worst for me was I made those everything free Ian's chicken nuggets and thought I was going to have to have my stomach and intestines removed permanantly. That pain lasted several days. So even though you think you ate good today it could be something from a few days ago that is bothering you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Since my diagnosis for celiac disease 3 years ago, I also was diagnosed with milk, soy, egg and cane sugar allergies. I also was tested for bacterial imbalance which revealed I had an abundance of bad bacterial (esp. Klebsiella) and NO bifidobacteria (good bacteria). During those 3 years I had recurrent symptoms even as I eliminated all my allergy sources. I'm currently taking betaine hydrochloric in digestive enzymes which eliminates the bloating. However I can EASILY get contaminated and suffer 3-10 days of cramping pain, gas, bloating and constipation or diarrhea. I just recently ate some gluten free cereal which had none of my allergens, but was processed in a facility which also process soy. I'm still in pain 4 days later. The longer I abstain from my food allergy sources, the more intense my reaction from even tiny amounts of cross contamination.

Beyond testing for other food allergies (blood, not skin prick, test), bacteria imbalance (stool test) and treating with probiotics after an antibiotic for bad bacteria, and taking digestive enzymes, I suggest you be scrupulous about avoiding ANY sources of foods to which you learn that you are sensitive. I often get contaminated from deli products from my local organic grocer. The ingredients don't include any of my allergens, but I suspect they do not carefully avoid cross contamination in preparation. Over the past 3 years I have observed what symptoms I get from which foods. So I can usually determine the source of my reaction and decide to avoid that food in the future.

I'm still suffering from symptoms of my last contamination (probably soy from that cereal) and really would like to live on air and water right now. Hang in there and keep proactively determining the sources of your reactions.

BURDEE

VioletBlue Contributor

I know it's not funny, but I laughed when I saw the title of this thread. I've thought the same thing many many times; it would be so much easier to just give up eating, or eat rice and chicken for the rest of my life than worry about new allergies, or hidden ingredients, or poorly labels foods.

The only words of wisdom I have are that it takes time. It takes time to get over the gluten, and it takes time to figure out what else you may be allergic to, or to figure out where the hidden gluten may be. Patterns start to emerge if you give it time. Keeping a food journal is real helpful, and I include things like supplements and pain killers that I take as well as they can affect you in ways you might not see coming.

Patience is not exactly my strong point, nor is forgiving myself. I've had to work on both those skills the past few months. I've done a lot of deep breathing, LOL. I figure I'm in this for the long haul so I might as well take my time, be patient, be methodical and figure it all out as calmly as I can.

Violet

confused Community Regular

I so know how you feel, Its almost noon here and i have not ate. Im afraid to eat, but i know i should, but i sit here and think what will i react to next. Is it worth eating to feel worse.

paula

jerseyangel Proficient

I know that you're sick of it, and probably don't want to hear this, but it took about 4 months before I felt like I turned a corner.

The first 2-3 months, I felt like a wet dishrag. :( I couldn't wait to go to bed at night just so my stomach would finally settle down after I fell asleep! I was tired all the time, and could literally feel the food trying to make it's way down my digestive tract. I was also still having D frequently.

It really just takes some of us more time than others to feel noticeably better.

Are you still eating dairy? That can be a problem for the first few months of the gluten-free diet.

Try and hang on a little longer--I hope you start to feel better very soon! :)

Ursa Major Collaborator

I was unable to eat anything raw for about six months, and still (1 1/2 years later) can't handle raw food very well. I imagine it is from permanent damage because of being undiagnosed for over 50 years.

I had to cook all vegetables and fruit before eating them (and I mean WELL cooked) and salad was out completely. Or else I would get terrible stomach aches.

Also, three months into the diet I found out I was intolerant to all lectins (gluten is one) and all foods high in salicylates. The lectin foods are: All grains (including rice and corn), all dairy, eggs, legumes (including peanuts and soy) and the nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant). Rice and eggs will give me almost identical symptoms to being glutened (explosive diarrhea, excruciating joint pain, buckling knees and ankles, somnolence, angry outbursts, depression, stomach and bowel cramps and others).

I suggest you eliminate all lectins for a week, and then slowly try one at a time, at least three days apart to catch any delayed reactions (mine usually take a day or two to hit me full force).

But it could just be that you haven't figured out all hidden sources of gluten. Is your husband eating gluten in the house? It could also be cross contamination if he is.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

So true URSA!

Raw broccoli or cauliflower will create some "methane madness" in my house...

I am ok with celery though...(with peanut butter of course!)

confused Community Regular
So true URSA!

Raw broccoli or cauliflower will create some "methane madness" in my house...

I am ok with celery though...(with peanut butter of course!)

that sounds so good, i am going to go have some now. Im so happy food is starting to sounds good again

paula

jerseyangel Proficient

I eat my celery with almond butter (can't do peanuts). :)

confusedks Enthusiast

i totally understand. im still going through the "i want an iv diet" stage. lol. i get really sick of the thought of eating. i used to just grab anything and everything to eat whenever i wanted. my suggestion is to try to figure out if you have any other food allergies. we figured out i have an egg allergy. i made a flourless chocolate cake and it had 6 eggs in it and i thought i was never going to be able to eat again...lol. it was the eggs. also, being strictly dairy free helps expecially with D. like gluten, it is hidden in all kids of random foods you wouldnt think about looking in..so be diligent. but, hang in there...it will get better. i have more better days than worse days the longer in gluten-free and df

isiskingdom Contributor
i totally understand. im still going through the "i want an iv diet" stage. lol. i get really sick of the thought of eating. i used to just grab anything and everything to eat whenever i wanted. my suggestion is to try to figure out if you have any other food allergies. we figured out i have an egg allergy. i made a flourless chocolate cake and it had 6 eggs in it and i thought i was never going to be able to eat again...lol. it was the eggs. also, being strictly dairy free helps expecially with D. like gluten, it is hidden in all kids of random foods you wouldnt think about looking in..so be diligent. but, hang in there...it will get better. i have more better days than worse days the longer in gluten-free and df

I don't really get D i have the opposite. I have not had dariy or eggs so it can't be that. Someone said on here about rice and corn that would leave me with nothing to eat . I Hate eating have for a long time. I'm on a Blood Pressure med because my blood pressure is so low. I hope its not salt because that is my best friend according to my doctors. That will keep my BS leveled. I have fainting spells on top of it all. Is there a end to this?

Nancym Enthusiast

You might want to try the SCD diet, minus the dairy. It is very healing on the gut.

There are plenty of things to eat other than rice and corn. Pork, beef, chicken, fish, goat, lamb to name a few proteins. The entire fruit and vegetable kingdom which is entirely too large to list, minus a few grass plants. I had to keep a journal to figure out that I have more food sensitivities than just gluten. Some foods I can eat occassionally and not suffer from. Rice is one of those. And foods that just mess me up right quick, corn is one of those.

Whenever I try to get calories out of bags, boxes or cans I end up unwell. I had to change my thinking of food as stuff you prepare from whole ingredients, not bags or boxes to rip open. That opened my eyes to the marvelous array of things we can eat that are healthy. That and looking into what people eat in other parts of the world. I've adopted a lot of cooking recipes and techniques from the Thai people.

I hope you find what you can eat without discomfort and pain!

isiskingdom Contributor
You might want to try the SCD diet, minus the dairy. It is very healing on the gut.

There are plenty of things to eat other than rice and corn. Pork, beef, chicken, fish, goat, lamb to name a few proteins. The entire fruit and vegetable kingdom which is entirely too large to list, minus a few grass plants. I had to keep a journal to figure out that I have more food sensitivities than just gluten. Some foods I can eat occassionally and not suffer from. Rice is one of those. And foods that just mess me up right quick, corn is one of those.

Whenever I try to get calories out of bags, boxes or cans I end up unwell. I had to change my thinking of food as stuff you prepare from whole ingredients, not bags or boxes to rip open. That opened my eyes to the marvelous array of things we can eat that are healthy. That and looking into what people eat in other parts of the world. I've adopted a lot of cooking recipes and techniques from the Thai people.

I hope you find what you can eat without discomfort and pain!

I have so many issues with food. I can't eat fish or pork. I don't do very good after eating a handful of fruit lots of veggies are limited. I'm so tired of chicken and the same food everyday. I love noddles but they are pricey. This is why maybe I am better of not eating.

burdee Enthusiast
I have so many issues with food. I can't eat fish or pork. I don't do very good after eating a handful of fruit lots of veggies are limited. I'm so tired of chicken and the same food everyday. I love noddles but they are pricey. This is why maybe I am better of not eating.

I recommend you get tested for specific food allergies with an ELISA blood test. I used to hurt EVERY time I ate and wanted to postpone eating as long as possible. Until you actually KNOW what causes your symptoms, you'll get suggestions from everybody whose diets and restrictions worked for THEM, but not necessarily for you. With celiac disease and 4 other food allergies, I have ENOUGH restrictions without trying every suggestion that I receive from people whose diets worked for them. Find a reputable lab which processes ELISA tests for IgG delayed reaction food allergies. If their test results say you have over 5 or so allergies or major food groups in addition to gluten, they don't have good quality control in their labs.

Also consider probiotics for bacterial imbalances and digestive enzymes. Many people have LOW stomach acid, despite the abundance of acid blocker drugs on the market. A good naturopath can chaeck your bacterial, enzyme and acid levels.

I also have low blood pressure. So I refuse to take any drugs, since most lower blood pressure.

You can have fairly normal digestion after you eliminate all your allergen sources and digestive problems. That took me over 3 years, but was well worth the time, energy and $$$.

BURDEE

isiskingdom Contributor

For dinner tonight I cut out corn and rice and I already do not feel right. I do not belive that is my problem. I'm still waiting for the doctor to call me back grrrr All day I have had to lay down in bed because I feel so bad. I keep having breakdowns there is so much stress going on its been Very stressful since December. Does stress make it worse?

Abbygail Newbie
For dinner tonight I cut out corn and rice and I already do not feel right. I do not belive that is my problem. I'm still waiting for the doctor to call me back grrrr All day I have had to lay down in bed because I feel so bad. I keep having breakdowns there is so much stress going on its been Very stressful since December. Does stress make it worse?

I definitely feel that stress triggers so many things and probably exacerbates any existing problems. My problem came to a head in October with a stressful family situation. I do not have a great deal to offer because I am so new at this myself, but I can add my support and encouragement that this will get better for you - just hang in there, have patience with yourself - this is a huge life change.

I have been gluten free since mid-February and have had so many ups and downs. Just in the last week or so can I honestly say that I really feel better. It takes so much diligence and attention to the smallest details that makes the difference. I was getting glutened from cc in so many places - cookware, utensils, appliances, makeup, shampoo, hairspray, even changed my toothpaste - and also other sensitivities - tapioca starch, citric acid, and I keep finding things that I react to that I never realized before.

There may be something that you have not pinned down yet but hang in there - it will get better, although, it does not happen overnight for everyone. I finally feel that life is worth living again and I would not trade it for any bite of gluten food.

This website is so wonderful and makes such a difference in a world that is so foreign to us in the beginning.

Big hugs to you. :):):)

loco-ladi Contributor

Stress makes everything worse! Or at least makes it feel bigger than it really is..... my grandmother always said "dont make a mountain out of a mole hill" which is exactly what stress does... amplify everything!

I know its easier said than done but "try" not to stress over things, everything comes in time and you cant speed it up so work with it, you have the rest of your life to figure out the little things right now today concentrate on the big things.....

1) Not eating will only make it worse in the long run, you will then have to eat gluten free hospital food if you thought the glutened food tasted bad, just imagine! So yes eat, maybe smaller amounts over shorter periods will help?

2) Dr's only call when they think of it as their idea... otherwise it could take them days to remember meanwhile you still have to eat something.

3) At some point when your system calms down variety is the spice of life! As with everything eating the same thing day after day is boring and you are not a boring person so, even if you can only tolerate chicken and rice, find different ways to "spice it up" get creative in the kitchen, try new spice combinations if I tastes bad well its a lesson learned but one day you just might find the most amazing combo!

Stepping of the throne (pun intended) making room for someone else and going to go take my own advice... Maybe "peppermint chive chicken".... hmmmmmm

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear isiskingdom,

I know what you mean. A lot of times, I dread getting hungry, because I am afraid of eating. I did really well the first two months, then boom! I may have Lyme disease plus like ten other things wrong. However, I will tell you, as loco_ladi mentioned, stress makes everything worse!

I have an idea though. Do you still have your gallbladder? Celiac causes gallbladder disease. Is the pain in your upper right quadrant? You know, right under your rib cage? It also causes severe colon cramping in some people. It did that to me. I felt like someone was taking a double-edged sword and ripping it straight through my intestines. Since having my gallbladder out, that has stopped.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

wipedout Newbie

Before I found this site, I wanted to give up eating. Now, gluten free I can tolerate eating.

Although here is an interesting topic to look-up. "Hira Ratan Manek (HRM), among others, have proven that a person can live just on solar energy for very long periods without eating any food. This has come to be known as the HRM phenomenon."

I seriously considered quitting eating altogether, and still do on occasion, and think there may be alternative possibilities, however ridiculous they seem. The general populace, FDA, medical industry, etc., etc., think it is ridiculous to consider bread as toxic...

Archived