Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mamabear

What We Knew All Along

I found this article on PubMed(again.....I'm a frequent flyer there :D ) !!

It's nice to know SOME GI's/pathologists are trying to figure out how some of the celiacs are being missed. Of course, we knew it all the time. Still nice to know some of 'em are open minded and not just giving it up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003

Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003

Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I found this article on PubMed(again.....I'm a frequent flyer there :D ) !!

It's nice to know SOME GI's/pathologists are trying to figure out how some of the celiacs are being missed. Of course, we knew it all the time. Still nice to know some of 'em are open minded and not just giving it up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

Yeah for you Ann to keep this topic open. I wish you were closer.

Good information for newbies to take to their doctors.

o L

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I agree.

The way I usually describe it is to think of a back with a patchy rash on it. Now blindfold a doctor and ask them to take a biopsy of that back. Basically, it will be a hit or miss as to whether or not the doctor would "grab" a rashy part or not, right? Same with biopsies for damage to the intestine. Just because the doctor doesn't grab a rashy area, does that mean there isn't a rash there?

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

YAY!!!!

Thanks for posting that.

Gotta love the PubMed.

:D

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Thanks for posting this. One more great paper for us to put into a file to take to the doctors office. Gives a bit more weight to the need to tell folks to try the diet and not just rely on tests. Even if we are biopsy confirmed it might help the next person to show this to them.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)