Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wowzer

Husband Is Supportive, Finally

I am hoping that my husband finally is agreeing with me. He went shopping for gluten free products. Spent a fortune even. He bought hot dog buns, hamburger buns, bagels, pretzels, cookies, buckwheat pancake mix, gluten free fruit bars, gluten free macaroni and cheese. He actually cooks more than I do. I went gluten free the beginning of the year. He wasn't very supportive to say the least. I'm not sure what finally got him thinking my way. Last night he made fajitas with corn tortillas. I'm happiest when he makes a total gluten free meal at eats it too. He is finally getting the seperate utensil and pan down. I know how you all feel the frustration when nobody believes you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That's so great... My husband went through the same thing. In Oct '05 he accused me of being a hypochondriac and said that he was starting to worry that I needed a psychiatrist. He got very upset and said that he was really very concerned about my mental health. This was a month and a half after I found this board.

By Valentine's Day, he stopped at a grocery store by his work that he had seen had a HUGE gluten-free section and got me a grocery bag full of gluten-free stuff and some flowers. He said he couldn't remember which chocolate was gluten-free and he didn't want me to get sick. :wub::wub::wub:

Now, a year and a half later, we have a gluten-free house and won't kiss me if he's had gluten for lunch. :wub: He even cooks with gluten-free flour when he makes dinner.

I think it's similar to PMS. After a while they can see the signs a mile away. Even when you swear and threaten that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH PMS YOU INSENSITIVE JERK. (hug me...)

Men tend to need to be able to prove things to themselves. Apparently he's seen enough and has charts and graphs of his own in his mind. Eventually, he'll be your co-investigator when you get a mystery glutening.

Glad to hear that he's come around. :D

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Thanks Nancy. He did have a gluten free cheesecake baked for me on Valentine's Day baked by a chef. I just have to get him to stop eating out. It is such a nightmare for me. I'm hoping that he doesn't think it is in my head anymore. Of course men don't like to admit they are wrong. Wendy

That is so nice of him. my hubby knows dinner has to be gluten free, so he will cook it gluten free. Now that i have learned to make tortiallas for fajitas and breakfast burritoes, he said he will no longer buy the gluten full ones, im so happy about that. He no longer has bread in the house. We do have a few gluten foods in the house for the kids and him. But they try to keep them away from me and my ss. My parents are even careful when they come or bring the kids snacks. Last week my mom made an huge fruit salad and made sure she cleaned the area she was cutting at, and kept washing her knife and being careeful putting them in baggies.

It makes life so much easier when you have supportive people around you. My husband is 99 percent supportive, he just has moments that i dont think he gets it lol.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Paula, It is so nice to get support. I grew up with a little sister that was a celiac, diagnosed at a year old. I just found out at 52. I'm sure my parents didn't think to have us all tested. I had so many allergies and rashes. I'm sure that I wouldn't have all the problems I have now, if it had been figured out sooner. I can think back to so many major outbreaks in my life. I'm even thinking my mother may have a problem. She just went to the doctor again for a bad rash on her chest. She thinks it's caused from bacon. I keep trying to tell her. I at one point thought sulfites were my problem too.