This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Go To Allergist

confused

confused Community Regular

My step-son has an appt for wednesday with the allergy dr, we have waited 3 months for this appt. Last yr he had an irritant in his nose, and now with being celiac, we wanted him tested for other allergies. Has anyone gone to one, what all they need to know. If he is tested for wheat, oats, rye and barley, will these test come back postiive since he is celiac, or will they be negative. Or will they come back very high due to being celiac.

Any insight would be welcomed.

Also is this a appt an waste of time since he is celiac, or will this still be good to see an allergy dr to be on the safe side.

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
My step-son has an appt for wednesday with the allergy dr, we have waited 3 months for this appt. Last yr he had an irritant in his nose, and now with being celiac, we wanted him tested for other allergies. Has anyone gone to one, what all they need to know. If he is tested for wheat, oats, rye and barley, will these test come back postiive since he is celiac, or will they be negative. Or will they come back very high due to being celiac.

Any insight would be welcomed.

Also is this a appt an waste of time since he is celiac, or will this still be good to see an allergy dr to be on the safe side.

paula

If he is reacting to gluten ONLY DUE TO celiac disease then he will test NEGATIVE to an allergy to wheat. If he ALSO has an allergy, or only has an allergy then he SHOULD get a positive result. I would test all the major foods in his diet to be safe(r ).

If he is reacting to gluten ONLY DUE TO celiac disease then he will test NEGATIVE to an allergy to wheat. If he ALSO has an allergy, or only has an allergy then he SHOULD get a positive result. I would test all the major foods in his diet to be safe
VydorScope Proficient
Thanks, that is what i was thinking but i wasnt sure lol.

I will have everything that he eats tested. He does not have to be eating certian foods for it to come back postive right. Like i dont have to put him back on wheat just to see if he is allergic right.

paula

For allergy testing, no. Thankfully. What they will do is introduce a controlled amount of the allergen to his skin or blood and watch for an reaction which usually happens in 10 to 15 mins on skin, but for blood usually have to send to a lab.

VydorScope Proficient

Also note that the allergy blood test and skin test, test for DIFFERENT reactions. For example my son DOES react to egg in the skin test BUT not in the blood test. In our case we have discovered he can EAT egg with out any problems, but if he gets it on his skin he gets a rash.

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

An allergy is a histamin (sp?) reaction in the body. Celiacs does not cause a histamin reaction. But you can be allergic to wheat in addition to beign a celiac.

If your child does have a food allergy, you want to ask if an epi-pen is required for your child. These are used to treat anaphylactic reactions. (You will want to know the signs for this one.) If not required, ask about when to use benedryl to help stop a reaction. If using a daily allergy pill, ask about side effects. Ask what paperwork is required by the school system to keep medication at the school for your child.

Learn how to read a label for that allergy. Talk to the dietician.

VydorScope Proficient

OH one more thing STOP ALL ALLERGY MEDS AT LEAST 5 DAYS BEFORE THE TEST. They will impact the test, and the doc should have told you this already, but just in case I figured I better mention it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks for all that info. We got like 8 pages i have to fill out before the appt tommorow. They syre ask alot of questions lol. I am trying to get a hold of his bio mom to see if she is allergic to anything, but she wont return my phone calls, so i hope family history isnt that appt.

I really hope he is not allergic to any food, that maybe he will just come back positive for hayfever like his dad. I cant see taking any more food items away from him, but if it does make him healthier i will be happy.

I will post how it all goes tommorow.

paula

He has to do the skin test. The dr said it will take 2-3 sessions for 3 hours each to test him for everything. His first appt is next friday.

Has anyone had their kids skin tested and if so were they in lots of pain after.

paula

JennyC Enthusiast

I did the blood tests with my son. They did the common allergy panel (I'm guessing the top 8 allergens), common environmental, and seasonal allergies. I liked getting the blood test because it is only one poke, which can traumatic enough. I guess that the skin test is little more sensitive though. For most purposes I think that the blood test should be fine.

I did the blood tests with my son. They did the common allergy panel (I'm guessing the top 8 allergens), common environmental, and seasonal allergies. I liked getting the blood test because it is only one poke, which can traumatic enough. I guess that the skin test is little more sensitive though. For most purposes I think that the blood test should be fine.

He didnt give us the option of the blood test due to his symptoms. SInce he wants to test him for everything from dust to food to chemicals. I wished he had let us do the blood test, but i guess it is best to test for everything all at once, instead of doing blood then having to do the skin test later. i told my husband he has to go with him, i will pass out seeing all of the needles lol

paula

Does anyone know if its safe to go swimming after the skin test. Im trying to find info on the net and i cant find any and the drs office is closed til tommorow when we go.

paula

confusedks Enthusiast

Paula,

I had the scratch tests for allergies a while ago and they didn't use needles at first. They use a little plastic thing that has sharp ends but it really didn't hurt. I was about 10 and was really afraid of needles at the time but it wasn't painful except when I was allergic to something and in my case it caused a welt but just because I was really allergic to grass. They then have me an allergy pill to take so I didn't have a severe reaction. If he's worried, tell him not to be. It really wasn't bad at all. Even the welt I had went away after a short amount of time. :)

Kassandra

Archived