Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glutenfreefamily

German Pancakes Recipe Question

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What is your understanding of what a German pancake is? Unless I know exactly what you mean, I won't be able to give advice.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is your understanding of what a German pancake is? Unless I know exactly what you mean, I won't be able to give advice.

Hi Ursa :)

Our family recipe is

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 eggs

1 3/4 cups milk

Then I spray the pan with canola oil and put about a 1/3 cup of batter on the pan and tilt it to cover the entire pan and flip it when it browns.

I sometimes make them as sweets with powdered sugar and cinnamon or fruit and whipped cream. Sometimes I make it as "noodles" for a chicken soup by just rolling it up and cutting it into strips for the soup.

Should I use a mix of gluten free flour, pancake mix, or an individual flour?

Thanks

Sounds to me like a crepe ^_^

I doubt the exact flour mix matters all that much. A gluten-free all-purpose, or pancake mix seems like it would be just fine. Not sure if you'd need a gum in with it, but I'm guessing you would.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

With that many eggs I don't think you need a gum to hold them together necessarily.

I think you can basically use any kind of flour for this, it just depends on taste. I make this kind of pancakes (or crepes, whatever you like to call them) with half corn half rice flour for sweet toppings, or half corn half buckwheat for savoury (I put goat cheese and ham on top and roll them up, yum). I don't use mixes so can't say what that would taste like but usually the mixes are just variations of corn, rice, buckwheat, tapioca, potato etc starches so the ingredients list should give you some idea.

Pauliina

As riceguy and Pauliina already said, any kind of flour mix would work just fine. Just experiment to figure out what you like best. I don't like dark buckwheat flour because it is sort of bitter and has little pieces of stuff that will get stuck in your teeth, so I only use light buckwheat flour (besides, I have a reaction of some sort to the dark).

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how did they turn out? Or haven't you tried yet?

This thread got me making pancakes yesterday. :P:lol:

Pauliina

I havent tried them yet but I think we will tonight for a dessert with whipped cream and strawberries on top YUM! :P