Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Donna F

Latex Gloves With Powder - gluten-free?

There is no contact info on this brand of latex glove I just used to prepare my food. It is not powder free. I cannot find anything in a search on here about latex gloves and the powder used in them. Typically I just use powder-free kinds, but someone else got me these and I didn't check first.

Do you think they would use wheat to powder them?

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I only have persaonal experience with this...

i used to use these to garden...mine had power..when i took the gloves off my hands would itch.

then went to get phone another time and rubbed my itchy eye and the white of my eye swelled.

when my dentist took her gloves off some power got in my eye

whe she came back in the room it was itching like crazy and blood red.

the next day the white was bulging out with the color part indented.

so it it wheat powder?? i don't know

i do know i can't use latex or esp the power inside them and never let anyone with latex gloves exam me..seems most dr's have no latex gloves in the offices now.

hope this helps.

again.. just my experience.

judy

Judy in Southern CA

Powder on gloves is almost without exception cornstarch or cellulose. In more than 5 years I have yet to find any with wheat.

richard

Powder on gloves is almost without exception cornstarch or cellulose. In more than 5 years I have yet to find any with wheat.

Richard

hi Richard.

I was hoping you'd post.

do you have ANY idea what could cause my consistent reaction to the powered gloves???

guess it could be corn but i eat all kind of corn products.

cellulose..........? I know nothing about that one.

Any ideas for me???

Thanks --as always for sharing your expertise.

judy

PS i now use the really really cheap ones you get in the $ store for one time use.. they are like cellophane

Judy in Southern CA

Latex allergies are quite common. If you wear gloves often, you can become sensitized to latex. We don't even use latex gloves anymore in the undergrad chem labs where I work because of the number of students with problems.

You should NOT be using powdered gloves while preparing food no matter what the powder is. I get nonpowdered nonlatex gloves by the box at the drug store. They will say suitable for medical use on them. What ever the powder is on the gloves it is not meant to be injested.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)