Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

num1habsfan

Need Some Advice To Avoid Contamination

Hi everyone. Growing up in a farming community (and province--its the major source of income and expenses here) and having Celiac for over 4 years I should already know the answer to this question, but its puzzling and worrying me...

I'm going to the Regina Farm Progress Show in 30 days for a Paul Brandt concert. nothing can stop me from Paul Brandt lol. Anyways, I was telling someone about how on the radio ad he said "and I might even ride a combine". That made me realize something i didnt before: there may be actual grains inside the building besides hay :blink:. Theres no way i'm cancelling out now, i spent over $40 for the ticket and already have things planned out for the trip down there.

So my question is: Whats the best way I can avoid being contaminated and prevent an asthma attack when I may be surrounded by evil grains???

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If airborne wheat/grain causes asthma attacks for you, you really shouldn't be knowingly exposing yourself.

I've witnessed an asthmatic friend end up in hospital due to being exposed to wheat during harvest...pretty scary, especially since this happened on our trip to Ukraine and she had to go to a state hospital. :o

Michelle

If airborne wheat/grain causes asthma attacks for you, you really shouldn't be knowingly exposing yourself.

I've witnessed an asthmatic friend end up in hospital due to being exposed to wheat during harvest...pretty scary, especially since this happened on our trip to Ukraine and she had to go to a state hospital. :o

Michelle

Well like I say, Im not sure what will be at this show. I've never been to one before so I'm not sure what to expect. I'll just be careful to have my inhaler in the pocket all the time. (i am one who also gets sick and has asthma issues during harvest).

~ Lisa ~

...26 years old...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

OK- you're not going to like this answer BUT I'll give it anyway. In the US we have these masks called N95's which can block out even SARS. :ph34r: You can get them at a hardware store here. I have to wear one when I'm grooming horses. You won't look pretty but you can breathe easy!

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

OK- you're not going to like this answer BUT I'll give it anyway. In the US we have these masks called N95's which can block out even SARS. :ph34r: You can get them at a hardware store here. I have to wear one when I'm grooming horses. You won't look pretty but you can breathe easy!

Lol i dont know if i've heard of such a thing like that :P. I know there are masks for carpentry and stuff. But that is kinda a good idea...to have something i can breathe thru (instead of breathing in the open air)

~ Lisa ~

...26 years old...

Lisa,

Got to the Pharmacy and ask them for a contamination mask to block out things like SARS we do have them in Canada. I found that out because when I clean the cat box and had to buy masks they asked me if I needed a SARS one.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

Lisa,

Got to the Pharmacy and ask them for a contamination mask to block out things like SARS we do have them in Canada. I found that out because when I clean the cat box and had to buy masks they asked me if I needed a SARS one.

I dont think i'll find me a farmboy wearing one of those, tho :lol:

~ Lisa ~

...26 years old...

~ Lisa ~

Unless you run into one that's also wearing a mask. :-)

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

Unless you run into one that's also wearing a mask. :-)

Lol well thats VERY highly unlikely...maybe i need to borrow one of Paul's body guards to check out the areas for me before i walk in. Now wouldnt THAT be a birthday treat :lol:;)

~ Lisa ~

...26 years old...

~ Lisa ~

I think you may need to find yourself a city boy who can take you away from all the wheat fields. :)

Michelle

I think you may need to find yourself a city boy who can take you away from all the wheat fields. :)

Michelle

Haha yeah well not too many cities around here dont forget lol

~ Lisa ~

...26 years old...