Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

metsfan11

Has Anyone Heard Of The New Enzyme Being Developed?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If that ever happens, I will fly straight to New York City and eat out at Da Nico's. That would be sooooooooooooo awesome!!! Next, I would fly back and drive to Wooster, Ohio, where I would have a Coccia House Pizza. Then I would find somewhere that serves vegetable tempura. After that, I would go to the Olive Garden and have their eggplant parmesan. I'd find a Mexican place and scarf down some chili rellenos. I would also need to track down some spaghetti, a chimichanga, and the Floridian French toast at First Watch, then to Bob Evans for some blueberry pancakes followed by anything vegetarian at Cafe Tandoor in Westlake, Ohio. I would have to have several types of scones to celebrate my Irish heritage as well. This could go on forever theoretically, so I will stop now. Suffice it to say that eating out used to be my favorite activity in the whole world!

I guess I will at this to my prayer list...........please say it works!

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

I just noticed that the article is almost a year old...... hopefully they are still trying to approve it

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

It appears that clinical trials are next. Who will pay for a clinical trial of a cheap food mold? This will include the cost of repeated EGDs. Clinical trials include a control group who will be taking a placebo and eating gluten - care to volunteer? I'm not feeling real positive about this will ever happening...

It appears that clinical trials are next. Who will pay for a clinical trial of a cheap food mold? This will include the cost of repeated EGDs. Clinical trials include a control group who will be taking a placebo and eating gluten - care to volunteer? I'm not feeling real positive about this will ever happening...

I agree, I have been interested in doing trials before, and It always came down to...what If i'm in the placebo group?

If it does come through, I would prolly use this sparingly. Prolly pop one if I'm eating out, or a If I want some thing with a small amount of gluten.

I probally would not have myself a big bowl of pasta.

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

there are a couple of things hoping to treat celiac disease in the works right now. besides the enzyme, there is the zonulin antagonist that dr. fasano is working on-----it is already in the second phase of human trials. i have read somewhere that a combo of the enzyme and the antagonist might work pretty well. our ped gi tells me that there are hopes of developing a celiac vaccine. of course, this wouldn't help my girls any since they already have it, but their kids might not have to worry about celiac.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

I've heard of 2 such efforts (AT1001 & a Stanford effort) but I don't believe either will work. celiac disease is not like lactose intolerance where the symptoms are temporary and relatively minor compared to celiac disease.

I think it just doesn't work that way - it's not just a missing enzyme.

I've had far too many of the symptoms on these 2 pages to ever consider having gluten again. (Especially the 2nd list)

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-15104373588.a8

I don't think Zonulin is an enzyme ... I think they have a website to read how it works. It's not like lastase (Lactaid) - I believe it works on the cell level.

It's already in human trials.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

the AT1001 is a zonulin antagonist. zonulin is the chemical in our bodies that controls the "gates" in the small intestine that let food proteins out where they don't belong. in celiacs these gates get stuck open. AT1001 controls the amount of zonulin so that the gates stay shut when a person eats gluten. this is by no means intended to be a cure, but it sure could make things easier for celiacs.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

our ped gi tells me that there are hopes of developing a celiac vaccine. of course, this wouldn't help my girls any since they already have it, but their kids might not have to worry about celiac.

I was just at the GIG conference and heard Dr. Fasano speak.

According to him, the vaccine would be for EVERYONE. Even if you already have Celiac, it would be for you.

Also, the time frame that he gave was

2-3 years for detoxified grains

5-8 years for Anti-Zonulin Pill

15-20 years for the Vaccine

He spent quite a while explaining how the pill would work. It is not like lactaid or whatever it is called. It blocks the production of Zonulin. Zonulin is what opens the doors in our intestines and allows the gluten in. Keep the doors locked and the gluten would not enter. (This is a very general explanation. The doctor spoke for an hour, this being the topic for about a third of it

Guest Doll
I've heard of 2 such efforts (AT1001 & a Stanford effort) but I don't believe either will work. celiac disease is not like lactose intolerance where the symptoms are temporary and relatively minor compared to celiac disease.

I think it just doesn't work that way - it's not just a missing enzyme.

I've had far too many of the symptoms on these 2 pages to ever consider having gluten again. (Especially the 2nd list)

AT-1001 actually CLOSES the leaky gut. I am *very* excited about it. It could be applied to the treatment of *all* autoimmune diseases.

I cannot wait. It actually fixes one of the root causes of the pathology of autoimmune disease, including Celiac.

It sounds very exciting and more info can be found at albatheraputics.com

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003