Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toille6901

My 7 Month Old

Hello all! I am new to this site. I have been concerened about my baby boy. He shows signs of having celiacs. We have celiacs on both my side and my husbands. The pedritician wont have the tests ordered till my boy is 12 months. I have been doing the gluten free diet for both me and him (he breast feeds) but I am concerned about other allergies/intollerances as well. Does anyone know how I can get the dr. to do the tests now instead of at 12 months? My insurance is HMO, so I have to get the dr. to order the tests.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I believe that most HMO insurances give you the right to a second opinion at another hospital. There are issues with getting testing done now. Tests are unreliable until he is at least 2 years old. Most importantly, if he is not consuming plenty of gluten then his tests will come back negative regardless if he has celiac disease or not. The tests look for an active autoimmune reaction and if he is not eating gluten then he will not have a reaction. If you strongly suspect celiac disease, then I would keep him on a gluten free diet until he is old enough for the tests. Then at that point, if you desire to do so, I would do the gluten challenge and then do the testing.

In regards to the allergy test, I see no reason why she would not order it. The blood test is a very effective method for allergy testing, and they can test using a wide variety of allergens with a single poke.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic