This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Comfort I Can Give?

Guest maddiesmom

Guest maddiesmom

My daughter has been g.f. for about a month now but still has pain every now and then.... as far as I know she has not been c.c'ed but I have read it just takes time to heal.. our whole house is g.f. also.. is there anything I can do for her or give her that will help.. besided the usual mommy t.l.c?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

I think the mommy tlc is about it! Wish there was more!!!! Good Luck and hope she feels better soon!

mamatide Enthusiast
My daughter has been g.f. for about a month now but still has pain every now and then.... as far as I know she has not been c.c'ed but I have read it just takes time to heal.. our whole house is g.f. also.. is there anything I can do for her or give her that will help.. besided the usual mommy t.l.c?

The first few weeks are rough - our first three weeks made us seriously question whether we were doing the right thing - our DD's pain was worse - she would writhe and scream and cry. It was horrible. Then after three weeks it all just stopped overnight.

Lots of hugs, reassuring, and don't discount her pain - it's real. So many people (myself included) are (were, in my case) quick to write off tummy aches in kids as nothing... "non-specific pain" my doctor said once. It really really hurts.

Don't forget that milk might be giving her pain as well - for about 10 months my DD was getting celiac-symptoms from dairy that hadn't been treated with lacteez. Now (1 year, 2 months later) she can drink and consume all regular dairy no problem at all - after all the healing. So you might try getting your daughter some lacteez milk (it comes in Chocolate) or Blue Diamond Almond milk (also Chocolate flavour) both of which are good and neither of which hurt my little girl's belly.

Keep up the good work - she's lucky to have you for her Mama.

mamaloca2 Apprentice

My nutritionalist is a naturalpatic doctor and told me the get the supplement "Glutamine". It speeds up healing of the intestines and works well for tummy aches too. It is just basically all natural food for your gastrointestinal cells, so it is safe and no side effects. Little pricey, but worth it. Hope it helps!

andreamly Newbie

Hi!

It didnt even take a page of searching to (almost) find someone else asking my same question...

My dd is 6 and was diagnosed a year ago. She was never so sickly as much as just TINY TINY, so we would go from test to test and then people would write down on the sheet 'worried mommy' as the diagnosis so I would back off for a while until looking at her and saying - something is wrong! I knew it..

so after switching doctors and starting all over again, CELIAC - confirmed with an endoscopy.

So after one year she STILL weighs only 33 pounds.. in fact she went down a little.

She is complaining about stomach aches all the time. In fact the doctor said if you are certain she is not getting gluten then we have to do stool and urine tests.

I was soooo hoping, after reading through this message board LAST year, that my dd would recover quickly and start showing some growth and nothing!

Her eating habits are pretty pathetic and her diet does not consist of much - I realize this doesnt help. Her main food are a horrible chocolate coated gluten free cereal with milk, salmon, chicken, gluten free bread, humos,

I am excited about reading about this glutamine and I am also inspired to going back to making homemade almond milk, which we sweeten with dates - just in case it is lactose related.

however if it were lactose related, wouldnt there be a lot more diarhea involved - I feel like in such a small diet I would notice it a lot more.

Ok, I know I threw out a lot - hope you can help!

Thanks. Best of luck with your own children.

Andrea

mamaloca2 Apprentice
Hi!

however if it were lactose related, wouldnt there be a lot more diarhea involved - I feel like in such a small diet I would notice it a lot more.

Andrea

I am certainly not an expert about this, but it seems like dairy can effect people differently, so you never know. Also, did you know that some hummus can contain gluten? I would double check with the company you buy from if you haven't already. Good luck!

Archived