This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whole Foods Bakery

JennyC

RKB-MD Rookie

I've only recently tried the WF breads, and so far the "sandwich" and the "sundried tomato" are pretty good, although I personally find the Enrgy whole grain to be the best once toasted.

The WF breads are softer and therefore more like gluten containing breads, but as I grew up without breads, other than homemade that always fell apart, I don't care for the sticky, chewy, type of bread.

I have yet to be able to find the pizza crust, the WF in Winter Park, FL always is "just out of it". That said, IMHO, there is NO crust better than the Kinnikinnick mix!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nic Collaborator
I have to say that I think Whole Foods is universally over-expensive no matter what you buy. We haven't nicknamed it "Whole Paycheck" for nothing!! ;) I also feel that a lot of gluten-free things are way overpriced. I love Namaste brownies, and yes it makes a big pan, but it $7.99 for the mix! I get Celiac Specialties at a grocery store here and the little pies are $7 - 8 too.

I think all the high pricing is ridicuous, no matter where you buy it. But now I'm hungry darn it!! :P

I agree here. We shop at Whole Foods about once a month to get my son the gluten free things we can't find at the 2 health food stores I shop at. My husband came with me once and decided to buy some fruit. He picked this little bag of cherries and when we got to the register the lady said, "do you want to know the price before I ring them up?". I asked her, "why, are they rediculously expensive?" She said they were $14.00! I was all ready to say never mind and my husband says we'll take them <_< . Guess who didn't even eat one of those $14.00 cherries that he insisted we buy?

little d Enthusiast

Ok Ya'll

I don't think that My WHole Foods here in Texas has the Gluten free bakery yet but then again I have not ask either. Gee maybe I can get somthing free :lol::lol: if I ask how does it taste :lol: I love that they will let you try something on them, I always feel funny when they say sure here try it out. Albertsons sure won't do that. I have a Central Market But that is way too far for me to drive, hum I wonder if they do the same. Oh sorry didn't mean to get off subject.

Donna

little d Enthusiast
I agree here. We shop at Whole Foods about once a month to get my son the gluten free things we can't find at the 2 health food stores I shop at. My husband came with me once and decided to buy some fruit. He picked this little bag of cherries and when we got to the register the lady said, "do you want to know the price before I ring them up?". I asked her, "why, are they rediculously expensive?" She said they were $14.00! I was all ready to say never mind and my husband says we'll take them <_< . Guess who didn't even eat one of those $14.00 cherries that he insisted we buy?

strongertoday

were thay made out of gold

that is almost half of my budget when i shop for myself at whole foods

donna

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I cant believe noone mentioned the PUMPKIN PIE!! :huh:

The pumpkin pie was awesome. Its really small (same as the other pies) and somewhere close to $10 but for someone who hasnt eaten pumpkin pie for a few years...it was worth it. :D

I cant really eat this stuff because my diet is really restricted....it was a nice treat during the holidays though. :)

I've liked everything I've tried...corn bread, prairie sandwich bread, cherry pie, etc. Nothing compared to the pumpkin pie though....now if only I coulda had some cool whip. B)

Karen B. Explorer
Ok Ya'll

I don't think that My WHole Foods here in Texas has the Gluten free bakery yet but then again I have not ask either. Gee maybe I can get somthing free :lol::lol: if I ask how does it taste :lol: I love that they will let you try something on them, I always feel funny when they say sure here try it out. Albertsons sure won't do that. I have a Central Market But that is way too far for me to drive, hum I wonder if they do the same. Oh sorry didn't mean to get off subject.

Donna

If you're in Texas, look in the freezer case. They had the baked goods sitting out at first but they kept spoiling too quickly. All of the Whole Foods I've been to (4 so far) have had a freezer section for their gluten-free Bakery goods.

happygirl Collaborator
I think that part of the added cost is the shipping....I think everything is baked in their No. Carolina facility and shipped to the stores. That's also what's pumping up the cost. the stuff isn't made on premises on each WF store.

deb: thanks for pointing that out. the 'shipping' part never occurred to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived