This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Still Having Pain On Lower Left Side

pellegrino

pellegrino Apprentice

I was officially diagnosed with celiac disease through a biopsy two weeks ago, and have been gluten free since. I'm actually feeling a lot better - less bloating, less gas, less nausea. My doctor also has me on an anti-inflammatory diet for the first month (no dairy, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, etc.) and I've been taking fish oil.

But I'm still having this pain on my lower left side, about an inch below and an inch to the left of my belly button. I don't see my doctor again for two weeks, and thought I'd ask if anyone else has had similar symptoms.

Is this where the small intestine is located and is this likely the result of celiac disease? Or could it be a colon thing? I've noticed my bowel movements have been much looser since going on the gluten free diet. The pain kind of comes and goes, but seems to be worse after a bowel movement.

Should I be worried? Or is this something that will likely disappear once I'm on the diet for longer? I had the food allergy testing done and am waiting for the results. Maybe it's the result of a food allergy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Sound like you have a great doctor. I like his recommendations. In regards to your question, I don't think there is a stock answer to the healing process. Everyone is different.

In my case, it took about two months to really see a significant change.

I would suggest keeping a food journal. It really helps to identify foods that can contribute to symptoms. As well, make sure that you have checked your lotions, shampoos, lip balms/lipsticks, shaving cream (forgot to look for gender) i.e, anything that can get into your mouth.

Gluten can hide every where. Have you done a kitchen check - pots/pans, wooded spoons, toasters, baking dishes, cutting boards.

Your body may be going through some gluten withdrawal. I don't recall that, but other have had noticeable symptom.

Again, you body is going through changes and the bottom line is to detox your body of all gluten and it will take some time to heal. It took you a while to get to where you needed a biopsy. Likewise, time to heal itself.

A true gluten free diet and time are the keys here. Hope you feel better soon.

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

More than likely your body is just taking some time to adjust and start to feel better. But talk to your doctor about it. I had lower right abdominal pain for years. Hospitalized for it once. I was always told it was a "female thing". Turn out I had adhessions. They grew for some reason and attached like gumbands to different organs. For me, it caused unreal pain and they have to be surgically removed. This is not the norm, just one of the many fun things our bodies do to us.

holdthegluten Rising Star

You could possibly have a hernia. Do you feel a lump if you push on it. Do you work out. It could even be a muscle strain. Just amother possibility...

candi1008 Rookie

I have had the exact same pain for a long time (off and on for 4 years, and then for the last 2 years it is constant)...Lower left abdomen. I also had surgery to remove adhesions from some of my organs, but that didn't help the pain. I had all sorts of tests done, and no one could figure out what was wrong. Then the blood tests came back showing that I was gluten intolerant. I have been on the gluten free diet for a little over a week. While I am starting to feel better, like with energy and stuff, the pain is still there. I have no idea what it is. I wish I did. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. If you do find out what it is, please let me know.

lcbannon Apprentice

Please add me to the lower left ab pain with no explanation group. Have had all kinds of tests, started gluten-free 2 months ago and it got better but still have probs with it but it is not so constant now. I have more tests going next week to make sure not FEMALE probs.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I get the exact same thing, and have been trying to figure out what triggers it. It seems to happen with less wonderful poops - very "bile" colored toilet water, less firm than I would like. But the pain itself does not move. It gets better and worse, but is there for a few days at a time.

I have been one year off the gluten. I think I've figured out that nuts cause this pain for me, though there are probably other things as well. I had this pain just a week or so ago, and am about to test fermented veggies (raw sauerkraut) to see if that was the culprit. It is gone now, and I hate to flare it up, but I don't think I was eating any nuts or nut butter. Maybe I did, though.

Anyway, I'm going to check out a picture of the colon and stuff on the Internet and see if there's anything special right there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

..don't know if you are female but I had this and it turned out to be ovarian cysts....I originally guessed it was diverticulousis (spellling?).

oceangirl Collaborator
..don't know if you are female but I had this and it turned out to be ovarian cysts....I originally guessed it was diverticulousis (spellling?).

Hi.

Before going gluten-free I had that lower left pain so badly I could not turn over in bed and I could NEVER lie on my left side. Now I seem to get it when glutened and MAYBE with nuts or too many raw veggies or fruits. It radiates into my left hip as well. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I also have a fibroid tumor so I've had the ultrasounds to keep up with that. Wish I could be more help. I also suspected diverticulitis but they ruled that out. With that, nuts and seeds could exacerbate the symptom from my understanding. Checking in with your gynecologist (if you are female) might not be a bad idea.

Hope it goes away soon!

lisa

Archived