Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gfgypsyqueen

Question For Parents With Kids In Elementary School

Just when I thought the school year was finally running smoothly...it's over. School ended today. My child attends after school care at her elementary school, which turns into summer camp with 3 field trips a week. Her Kindergarten teacher is great. The after school group kill me.

It has been a crazy two weeks for other reasons so today I stop in to talk to the after school director. Short version is my childs epi-pen is in the bottom drawer of a file cabinet in the shopping bag that I dropped it off in months ago. There is no paperwork, emergency plan, nothing. The school nurse is gone for the summer.

Aren't all schools required to have county paper work about all medications? Emergency plans? Aren't all medications supposed to be locked?

How many of you have a "504" for your child? I have been hesitant to set up a 504 because it seems so confrontational. What are the negatives in setting up a 504? Does it affect her health insurance/life insurance later? Has the school been resistant or had a bad reaction to you establiushing a 504? Most everyone has been very open to learning about the food issues in our family. This is the first time that I have a group that has control of my child and will not care for her correctly. What would you do? I am working on pulling her out for the summer, but she will very likely have to go back for the fall. I have to work and the school is the safest when it comes to the food issues.

Any advice???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

in the area I live in they kid with any kind of medication or medical condition is required to have a formed filled out and signed by the doctor. My older child has asthma and an inhailer. Now in our area we don't have an afterschool program so I am not sure how that works. I would guess the site supervisor should have had you fill out some kind of paperwork and I would guess the epi pen should be kept in a area away from other kids and with the other medications or allowed to be carried on person like my daughter does with her inhailer.

I would get a 504 if I were you, that way there is a set plan in place on documentation.

Janel (me): gluten-free since 4/10/07; casien free 5/1/07;soy light 10/07

**LOST 35 lbs since April 2007(much needed weight loss)**

ds(6 yrs)- gluten-free since 3/19/07; casein free 5/2/07;soy free 10/07

HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)

new dx= Hirschsprungs Disease w/cecostomy

the non believers, only allergen free eatting at home because they have to be:

Hubby: refuses to eat Gluten-free Casein-free except for dinner

dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*