This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Meal... Got Sick..

lob6796

lob6796 Contributor

I'm still on gluten food until my biopsy, but I want to try different gluten free foods so once I am given the "go ahead", I will have some that I know I like. I went and had my "first" gluten free meal today, and about halfway through, my stomach started its tricks. I didn't want to finish it at that point, so I stopped eating the meal. I did grab dessert thought because I REALLY wanted to give that a try. It was yummy, hehe. My stomach was cruddy all day and then when I got home about 4 hours later, I had to go to the bathroom really bad, when I went there was blood in it.

I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is that it was the beef that hurt my stomach (hamburger). The bun was gluten free, fries gluten free in a separate fryolator for gluten free food. I had a Pepsi with it.

Any ideas? I have had a bad reaction to beef in the past (steak) - gives me bad diarrhea and stomach cramps, so I try to avoid it but I was always assuming it was marinated in something with soy (teryaki or soy sauce type things)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

If you're still eating gluten foods it is very possible that ANY food will aggrivate your stomach. It generally takes some time being strictly gluten free to start feeling better. Some feel better within days, some weeks, some months. One gluten free meal probably won't make a differenct in how you're feeling.

lob6796 Contributor
If you're still eating gluten foods it is very possible that ANY food will aggrivate your stomach. It generally takes some time being strictly gluten free to start feeling better. Some feel better within days, some weeks, some months. One gluten free meal probably won't make a differenct in how you're feeling.

Well, no I didn't expect I would feel *better* - I was just puzzled as to why (and I had nothing else to eat before or after until I had been home over an hour) I had such a bad stomach reaction to the food and then was going to the bathroom with blood in it - that has never happened to me before.

hathor Contributor

If you've reacted to beef in the past, I don't see why you don't consider that it might be the beef that is the problem, not the gluten-free status of the meal.

Back when I was eating meat, I often had problems with beef.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I agree. If beef's made you feel bad in the past, I'd suspect the beef.

It's not uncommon for someone whose been ill to have adrenal fatigue. Many with adrenal fatigue also have trouble with meats, which is a catch 22 because it's a high protein/low carb (NOT no carb) diet that help adrenal fatigue.

If you can handle chicken, I'd eat lots of chicken and veggies. Maybe some brown rice.

alamaz Collaborator

I think the beef is suspect. Before I was diagnosed I couldn't eat red meat of any type. i think it's the high fat content and cholesterol. now i can tolerate it about once or twice a week but last november- no way. i would have been doubled over in pain with the big D for atleast a day.

lob6796 Contributor
I think the beef is suspect. Before I was diagnosed I couldn't eat red meat of any type. i think it's the high fat content and cholesterol. now i can tolerate it about once or twice a week but last november- no way. i would have been doubled over in pain with the big D for atleast a day.

Hmmm I will blame the beef then. I think my big fear from this reaction was "oh god, don't tell me something they used to make the gluten free bun/fries is giving me a reaction too!". I normally try to avoid steak because of the reaction, I will add ground meat to my list now too. I handle chicken just fine, so I'll stick to that. Thanks for the responces :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Sometimes people are sensitive to gluten-free bread, etc. in the beginning. It's just because the system is so sensitive.

You could try using ground turkey instead of ground beef.

Archived