Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lob6796

Gluten Free Meal... Got Sick..

I'm still on gluten food until my biopsy, but I want to try different gluten free foods so once I am given the "go ahead", I will have some that I know I like. I went and had my "first" gluten free meal today, and about halfway through, my stomach started its tricks. I didn't want to finish it at that point, so I stopped eating the meal. I did grab dessert thought because I REALLY wanted to give that a try. It was yummy, hehe. My stomach was cruddy all day and then when I got home about 4 hours later, I had to go to the bathroom really bad, when I went there was blood in it.

I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is that it was the beef that hurt my stomach (hamburger). The bun was gluten free, fries gluten free in a separate fryolator for gluten free food. I had a Pepsi with it.

Any ideas? I have had a bad reaction to beef in the past (steak) - gives me bad diarrhea and stomach cramps, so I try to avoid it but I was always assuming it was marinated in something with soy (teryaki or soy sauce type things)

~Sorry for the million questions, I really want to learn as much as I can!~

04/07 - Diagnosed Fibromyalgia

05/07 -Diagnosed Celiac from test & symptoms - scheduled for biopsy

~Also intolerant to milk, soy & beef

Daughter - 2yo - tested negative 03/07 for Celiac

-allergic to milk and soy

-retesting Celiac soon due to symptoms~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you're still eating gluten foods it is very possible that ANY food will aggrivate your stomach. It generally takes some time being strictly gluten free to start feeling better. Some feel better within days, some weeks, some months. One gluten free meal probably won't make a differenct in how you're feeling.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

If you're still eating gluten foods it is very possible that ANY food will aggrivate your stomach. It generally takes some time being strictly gluten free to start feeling better. Some feel better within days, some weeks, some months. One gluten free meal probably won't make a differenct in how you're feeling.

Well, no I didn't expect I would feel *better* - I was just puzzled as to why (and I had nothing else to eat before or after until I had been home over an hour) I had such a bad stomach reaction to the food and then was going to the bathroom with blood in it - that has never happened to me before.

If you've reacted to beef in the past, I don't see why you don't consider that it might be the beef that is the problem, not the gluten-free status of the meal.

Back when I was eating meat, I often had problems with beef.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

I agree. If beef's made you feel bad in the past, I'd suspect the beef.

It's not uncommon for someone whose been ill to have adrenal fatigue. Many with adrenal fatigue also have trouble with meats, which is a catch 22 because it's a high protein/low carb (NOT no carb) diet that help adrenal fatigue.

If you can handle chicken, I'd eat lots of chicken and veggies. Maybe some brown rice.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I think the beef is suspect. Before I was diagnosed I couldn't eat red meat of any type. i think it's the high fat content and cholesterol. now i can tolerate it about once or twice a week but last november- no way. i would have been doubled over in pain with the big D for atleast a day.

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

I think the beef is suspect. Before I was diagnosed I couldn't eat red meat of any type. i think it's the high fat content and cholesterol. now i can tolerate it about once or twice a week but last november- no way. i would have been doubled over in pain with the big D for atleast a day.

Hmmm I will blame the beef then. I think my big fear from this reaction was "oh god, don't tell me something they used to make the gluten free bun/fries is giving me a reaction too!". I normally try to avoid steak because of the reaction, I will add ground meat to my list now too. I handle chicken just fine, so I'll stick to that. Thanks for the responces :)

Sometimes people are sensitive to gluten-free bread, etc. in the beginning. It's just because the system is so sensitive.

You could try using ground turkey instead of ground beef.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06