This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Does It Take To Get "glutenized"?

Jadey

Jadey Newbie

I had my biopsy almost 3 weeks ago and I stopped eating gluten the day after that. I get my results in just over a week from now, but I was skeptical that I had Celiacs, so I thought I'd try the diet and see if it made a difference in my health. I have actually noticed quite a turnaround! I had a constant pain in the left side of my abdomen, which has diminished a lot. I also have eczema on my hands and that cleared up well as well as itchy rashes on my elbows & belly, which also cleared up. So, I started thinking maybe these doctors aren't so crazy thinking I have Celiacs and I started reading up on the disease. Well, I have pretty much every symptom in the book.

Anyway... today I woke up feeling like CRAP. I slept 14 hours last night, and I'm beat. My eczema on my hands is worse and my skin is itchy. My abdomen also hurts more today.

I had been avoiding gluten- although I'm finding it can sneak into my diet easily. On Thursday, I had a hamburger. It had the bun on, but I removed it before eating it. I read that just this little amount of cross contamination can effect you. But this was on Thursday. It's Saturday now- does it take that long for gluten to effect people? Can that small amount make such a big difference?

Oh, I also had some soya sauce earlier this week, which I found out after had gluten. I'm amazed at how many foods has it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

It can take up to three days for a reaction and adverse effects within your body can last up to a month I believe (with gluten if you're celiac). Other food intolerances would clear up much sooner, although I have to wonder about dairy or soy since I've read they can also be problems while healing.

Yes, a small amount can make a huge difference.

Jadey Newbie

Wow, thanks for the reply. I'm gonna be more diligent about what I put in my mouth. :unsure:

dally099 Contributor

hi there, eating out is a nighmare as youll soon find out, and soy sauce is a killer. youll learn though good luck!!

Archived