Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wowzer

Thyroid

I was wondering after going gluten free, does it change test results on the thyroid. I originally was put on it about 20 years ago for a goiter. I'm wondering now if I was absorbing it before going gluten free. I guess I'll find out from my next blood test which is due in a few weeks. I had been on estrodiol for 7 years and went off of it cold turkey with few symtoms. I think I was taking it for nothing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I guess my only comments would be that from what I've read, goiter is caused by an iodine deficiency, and synthroid apparently doesn't work so well. I think there's something called "Armour" (or something like that), which is supposed to be more effective. I'm sure there's much more out there on these subject than I've come across though. Perhaps others will have more info for you.

One thing for sure however, is that all the nutrients in the world won't help unless they are properly absorbed and utilized. For example, I've just found out that the absorption of magnesium is greatly enhanced by vitamin C. Upon trying this, I can tell you it's startlingly increased.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I was wondering after going gluten free, does it change test results on the thyroid.

Yes ! Well - at least it did for me. I started on Armour and got to 4 grains before being dx with Celiac a few months later. I started the gluten-free diet. Within months my blood tests showed high Thyroid readings and I had to reduce. I am now on 2 grains of Armour only - and fine ! ( my Dr refuses to use Synthroid - she has Hashimotos Thyroid herself and knows how bad Synthroid is for making HypoThyroid better)

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!