Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gfgypsyqueen

New Support Group In Southwest Florida

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a support group in the Fort Myers, Florida area and never found one. So, now I'd like to start one.

My family has a variety of food allergies, so I was planning on this being a support group for all food allergies and intolerances. I am a celiac and my kids have peanut/tree nut, milk, shellfish allergies. And all of us have medication allergies.

My goal is to make this support group a positive, proactive experience for everyone. I would like the kids to meet other kids with allergies mainly so they don't always feel like the oddball at school. (I have heard the "how come I am the only one?" question way too many times!) I would also like to help kids learn how to take care of themselves by speaking up to adults and authority figures, like teachers, about their specific allergy. We have quite a few gluten-free friendly restaurants here, so eating out is going to be a function that we include. And equally important, parents and caregivers need a place to meet and talk to other people who are going through the same or similar experiences, like how to handle schools, daycares, baby sitting needs, family who mean well but just don't get it, etc.

Anyone interested or have more ideas on what to include or how to get started, please let me know.

-GFGypsyQueen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):