This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Son's Last Day Of High School

Teacher1958

Teacher1958 Apprentice

All of these years so many people have told me that someday when my son got ready to graduate from high school, I would be more than ready to have him leave home for college. Well, all of those people were completely and totally wrong! Today was Adam's last day of high school, and he will be leaving for college in New York City toward the end of August. :( I tried to keep it from my mind all day at work today, but when I got home I just cried and cried. I know that I am so fortunate to have such a wonderful child, but at the same time I don't want his school years to be over, and I dread him leaving for college. I will be lost without him. He is everything a parent could want in a child and more. How do people cope when their kids leave home?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Our oldest goes to college in Indiana and we live in Ohio. We used to live in Indiana in the city where she goes to school, so I never changed where I get my hair cut. I drive over every six weeks for a haircut (I see her, of course). ;)

I think every stage of a child's life is fun and I'm enjoying seeing her transition from a child to an adult. I also have five more kids at home, so it might be different for me. I'm not done with the others yet. :P

I don't think what you're feeling is abnormal in any way. But you will adjust. You'll probably cry again when you drop him off at college ... and at his graduation ceremony. I for one don't understand being excited for your kids to leave home ... though there are days with a couple of them that I look forward to it! :lol:

Guest j_mommy

Oh man....I cry now when he's goes to grandma's overnight(my son is 2)....I can't even think about him leaving home!!!

Teacher1958....I feel for you!!! I'm sure you'll be in his mind while at college!!!

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Graduation was not as difficult for me as when he moved to his own apartment. I have 5 kids and I was upset when each one moved out. It's part of that job we call "motherhood".

Lisa Mentor

Teacher:

When my husband and I went to the college orientation, I was never more impressed. But, they told the parents a small key to communication.

Mail him a letter, write a nice note and note that there is a $50.00 check inside to maybe dine out or have some fun with. AND THEN NEVER INCLUDE IT IN THE LETTER. I can assure you that you will get a call as soon as it has been received.

It truly works. :P

You just have ventured into a whole new world and not without challenges. It can be frustrating. I don't know about your son...but. One of mine sold her last semester books and the check for the books was coming on Monday. Okay, well, she went shopping on Monday...and the buyer of the used books could not come up with the money. Checks were like a ping pong ball....bouncing everywhere. <_<

We love them. You'll be fine, it's not a loss, it's a change. I do have to admit, I miss the high school years. I never knew who would come through the door or how many...and loved every minute of it.

Celebrate his celebration. And most of all celebrate your success in him.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Lisa -- Thanks for GREAT advice! I'm going to use that . . . . .

Graduation from high school was hard for me with both of mine. My son is my OLDEST, my daughter is my YOUNGEST. I bawled my eyes out. Of course, I cried at the onset of Pre-school, Kindergarten, Middle School, High School . . . . . and when my daughter got married last year -- OH MY!!

You start to get used to it. It takes quite a while, I think. I still MISS my kids. I see my son every Friday, and when I don't have Friday appointments, I really miss him. He has this really quirky sense of humor, and he "gets it" when I say things off-handedly. He calls me about every other day, though, just to tell me the joke of the day. My daughter, on the other hand, is so busy with school, working, husband and trying to stay well that she has her hands full. Not to mention she still has the mother/daughter thing going on, I think. Oh well . . . . . . . .

I've jinxed both my kids and put the official "hex" on them that they will both have TWO KIDS just like them!!!!! They'll be pretty lucky parents . . . . . .

Good luck on the summer and the send-off to college. I'll be thinking about you. May cry a little with you, too. Take care.

Teacher1958 Apprentice

You guys are great! Thanks for all of your encouragement. It helps to hear from other people who have survived and seem happy. I guess this is just one of those things I have to endure, and I will adjust eventually. We'll get the video monitor for both computers and sign up for instant messaging (oh, jeez, more technology) and hopefully make contact once a day. I will keep you posted on how he's doing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sixtytwo Apprentice

My kids have been gone for years, but my friend just went through this a couple of years ago and I went through it with her. Her dream child left for college and I never saw anyone take something so hard. I coached her through it, held her when she cried and TRUST ME, if she can get through it, you can. It is very o.k. to feel this way, I think it is a sign of what a good parent you have been and what a nice bond you have with your child. If you don't have anyone left at home, you might think about getting interested in something extra to occupy your time this fall, it could help. Please try not to make your child feel guilty about leaving, this is a natural course of life and you want him to enjoy the heck out of it. If he is close to home, then he will be coming back to visit often, they usually do during that first year, however boys do less than girls as a rule, and you can go there occasionally for parent's weekend etc. This is what you have been preparing him for all these years and he is going to make you proud as the adult you want him to be. This can also be a time for you and your husband to come closer if you have a good marriage. Best wishes to your very functional family......Barbara

lovegrov Collaborator

I'd agree it's very hard. Hug those kids every chance you get. Tell them you love them all the time, cause you never know. Don't overwhelm them with contact because they need their space, but stay in touch.

richard

kbtoyssni Contributor

I'm the 25-year-old child who's moved out, but I can share some things my mother has said. Around the time when I was recovering from celiac and getting ready to move several hours away for a job, one of her friends had a daughter who wanted to move across the country. The friend complained about this a lot and wanted her daughter to stay close to home, and my mother just told her that she was so thankful that I was healthy enough to move away and live on my own and support myself. The fact that your son can move away on his own to college is a testament to your good parenting. He wouldn't be able to do this if you hadn't done a good job raising him. Which I can imagine is a really hard part of parenting: you do a good job and they leave you.

One of my favorite ways that my dad keeps in contact with me is by sending my newspaper articles. He used to send me articles about different health issues I having (health-related articles have stopped now that I'm gluten-free!) and now he sends me stuff about my old high school gymnastics team and other local stories or financial advice. He always includes a short letter, and it still makes my day when I get a letter from dad. It's so easy and cheap and doesn't take very much time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

4. - Smith-Ronald replied to Soleihey's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lymph nodes

5. - Bayb replied to Bayb's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Trying to read my lab results

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Suzi374
    Newest Member
    Suzi374
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .
    • Smith-Ronald
      Enlarged lymph nodes in neck and groin with celiac are not uncommon. They can take time to reduce even after going gluten-free. Monitoring is key.
    • Random.user556
      Hello! I’m sorry in advance for the long post!   Over the past few months I’ve been having a lot of issues with my stomach and have recently been referred to a Gastroenterologist. I’ve had stomach pain and issues since I was a baby. I had bad constipation (still do) and couldn’t tolerate most formula as a baby. When I was around 8 I started experiencing a lot of lower abdominal cramping (just below the belly button) and ended up missing a fair amount of school because of this. It would start about 2 hours after eating breakfast and I’d have lower abdominal cramps and feel nauseous . After a visit to my family doctor it was brushed off as separation anxiety.. or as the doctor put it “I was just a kid who wanted to stay home from school”. This stomach pain persisted all through my elementary and high school years. In fact I still experience it to this day and I’m now 24. Along with this my doctor believes I have a form of disautonomia called POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome). I frequently feel unwell and exhausted. I also experience Raynaud’s phenomena especially during the winter months or when I’m sick. I also can not tolerate heat for the life of me.. although I’m not entirely convinced my symptoms are from POTS. The last few years I’ve also started experiencing frequent chronic sinus infections up to 5 a year most of which I require antibiotics for… Up until two years ago I have never had allergies or sinus problems. Back to my stomach issues… The last year I have been experiencing lots of stomach bloating and discomfort especially at night.. this has led to a few nights of 3am vomiting.. my doctor tested me for H. Pylori which was negative as well as full work ups to test my kidneys, liver, pancreas, gallbladder.. all of which were normal. At this time he also started me on Rabeprazole 20mg twice daily which is a Proton pump inhibitor (PPI) … as he believes it could be GERD. The PPI has not helped at all and I have since been moved down to once daily which I wait for a referral to a Gastroenterologist for an endoscopy as well as an abdominal ultrasound to verify I have no gallstones.. The pain I feel in my abdomen feels very heavy right around my bellybutton and frequently is accompanied by nausea and occasionally I also experience sharp stabbing like pain left of my belly button. I began tracking my symptoms, what I’m eating and bowel habits on an app called “My IBS” which track’s symptoms and flags foods that could be potential triggers.. all of my flagged potential triggers seem to be gluten related foods like pasta and breads. I asked to be tested for Celiac as I have an uncle with it. My doctor only sent for TtG IGA.. no other tests. My results came back negative at “<0.5 U/ml” the reference range being “ <12 U/Ml”. I am aware that total IGA should of been ordered as well but my doctor is confident we have ruled out celiac so I guess I will have to wait for the Gastroenterologist for more testing.. The other red flag for me is I have a rash that shows on both my knees and recently I have developed a similar rash behind both of my ears, on my neck and into my scalp.. there is dozens of small red and skin coloured lesions that sort of? resemble pimples but have a “head” and don’t pop (yes, i know don’t pop your pimples!) they are also itchy and sore.. I have tried washing and scrubbing them with antibacterial soap and body wash to no avail as well as ensuring I rinse my neck thoroughly after a shower, keeping my neck dry, frequently changing pillowcases and even keeping my hair off my neck as much as possible … it doesn’t have any effect on it.  In your experience does this sound like I could be experiencing celiac? I’ve debated going gluten free to see if my symptoms persist or begin to clear up.. any suggestions or help is appreciated!