This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dental Work & Gluten In Products

MaryJones2

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Hello all,

I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello all,

I

GF Family of 4 Since 2002 Newbie
Hello all,

I

GF Family of 4 Since 2002 Newbie

Janet,

I have had the same "dental" reactions. I don't know how long you've been gluten-free - but, I found the first couple cleanings I had made me real sick - I think that the tartar must have contained "old gluten".

I later learned that some gloves are powdered with oat flour, or wheat starch. Being latex sensitive, I ask them to use latex-free and non-powdered gloves. These measures have seemed to help me.

My family is very reactive to anything gluten-grain derived, which includes distilled vinegar, and of course grain distilled ALCOHOLs. Regular mouthwashes irritate us terribly - we use only non-alcohol versions.

Best of Luck,

Lori

P.S. Shortly after writing this post I found an article regarding gluten-free Dental Issues - from "Living Without" magazine:

Open Original Shared Link

sparkles Contributor

Unfortunately, my dentist is very unaware of celiac disease and therefore has not been very helpful in determining whether or not products that he uses have gluten. I know that it is my responsibility to check these things out but have not been very active in that regard. I do know that I get really sick, vomiting and diharea when I take novacaine. I usually only use the gas. I will continue with this dentist as he is really good and I have major dentist problems. I was assaulted by a dentist when I was a child and later had another dentist drill the roof of my mouth when drill slipped. Going to the dentist is really a difficult thing for me to do, therefore, I will not change dentists and I do need to do the checking on the products he uses.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am in the process of switching over to a new dentist. When I called to set up the intital appointment, I asked the woman on the phone who gladly checked for me. She even wrote me a list of things and sent it in my welcome packet. I feel very comfortable now. I have an appointment in 2 weeks.

Before this, I have not had any issues, but I want to keep playing it safe and making sure things are all right.

• 1 month later...
Sweetfudge Community Regular
Unfortunately, my dentist is very unaware of celiac disease and therefore has not been very helpful in determining whether or not products that he uses have gluten. I know that it is my responsibility to check these things out but have not been very active in that regard. I do know that I get really sick, vomiting and diharea when I take novacaine. I usually only use the gas. I will continue with this dentist as he is really good and I have major dentist problems. I was assaulted by a dentist when I was a child and later had another dentist drill the roof of my mouth when drill slipped. Going to the dentist is really a difficult thing for me to do, therefore, I will not change dentists and I do need to do the checking on the products he uses.

I work at a dental office and I know everyone is quite unaware of gluten-containing products. I've had to educate just about all of them of my condition, but I haven't done much looking into the products. I should, so I know for myself, and for other patients who may come in w/ celiac disease.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences at the dentist sparkles :( It's hard enough to go w/out having trauma.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tim-n-VA Contributor

This comes up occasionally and the answer always seems to be get a list of everything that your dentist has and call the factory. While that is the best solution in terms of up-to-the-minute information (assuming the company would know the answer and not give a legal CYA answer), it really isn't practical. The list that juliela has on her website was a nice list (thank you).

What I would like to know is a common dental item that has gluten. The problem seems to be the dental staff not understanding or taking it serious. If a patient could go in, ask do you use "X" and then show them on a package ingredient list that they have something harmful to that patient, it would be effective.

My dentist said that he used no products with gluten. He answered immediately. That means he'd already checked that for another patient or he didn't even think about grain derivatives being in dental products.

The only product with gluten that I've seen mentioned on this site was a specific brand of toothpaste. Maybe I go to strange dentists but I've never actually used toothpaste in the dental office.

Archived