• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

slpinsd

Gluten And Bipolar Spectrum

Rate this topic

After 1 1/2 years diagnosed w/Gluten intolerant, I was just diagnosed with Bipolar II, a mild form of Bipolar. As I look back, when I did eat gluten, aside from the digestive symptoms, I felt a crazy feeling after digesting gluten, and would be anxious/depressed for days. Eliminating gluten from my diet has definitely been a step in the positive direction with my mood.

What I was wondering is- anybody out there with Celiac/Bipolar? I believe Gluten is a Bipolar trigger. I am curious- since these two conditions are genetic and I have not one, but two Celiac Genes, if this runs along the lines of the Bipolar genes. Any insight?

I've seen a number of articles on gluten & schizophrenia, but can't recall seeing any on bipolar.

I suppose it wouldn't surprise me much.

They keep learning more and more about what can get thru the blood-brain barrier and what effect wheat's opioid peptides can have.

Guest maybe I have celiac
After 1 1/2 years diagnosed w/Gluten intolerant, I was just diagnosed with Bipolar II, a mild form of Bipolar. As I look back, when I did eat gluten, aside from the digestive symptoms, I felt a crazy feeling after digesting gluten, and would be anxious/depressed for days. Eliminating gluten from my diet has definitely been a step in the positive direction with my mood.

What I was wondering is- anybody out there with Celiac/Bipolar? I believe Gluten is a Bipolar trigger. I am curious- since these two conditions are genetic and I have not one, but two Celiac Genes, if this runs along the lines of the Bipolar genes. Any insight?

I hope that is the case, because I have been depressed, moody, angry, anxiety ridden, nervous my whole life. I started Gluten free a month ago, and I have been feeling much better, my friends and family are very skeptical. I do notice that I am depressed the day or two after I eat anything with Gluten. Not sure with casein, found in dairy products, which I read can cause it too. Of course I started Meds a month ago too but have noticed I still get glutened with them, I hope it is not my imagination.

Guest maybe I have celiac

I hope that is the case, because I have been depressed, moody, angry, anxiety ridden, nervous my whole life. I started becoming more aware of being Gluten free a month ago, and I have been feeling much better, my friends and family are very skeptical. I do notice that I am depressed the day or two after I eat anything with Gluten. Not sure with casein, found in dairy products, which I read can cause it too. Of course I started Meds a month ago too but have noticed I still get glutened with them, I hope it is not my imagination.

I certainly seemed bipolar and was tenatively diagnosed as one but instead I was finally diagnosed with a rare seizure disorder. The real key without the MRI was how much better I did on an antiseizure med. These symptoms did turn out to be gluten related though and not bipolar, or depression episodes or PMDD. The seizure activity is now closely associated with a glutening.

Interestingly enough after diagnosis I also stopped tapping my feet constantly, I can't even do it now if I try and I stopped the verbal 'tics' I had also. All related to the seizures, caused by gluten. I am 5 years into the diet now and the only time I get any symptoms of this sort is after gluten. This is also something that seems to effect my DS severely also. He displays all the classic symptoms of hypo and hyper mania when even a small amount of gluten crosses his path.

We both choose not to medicate as without gluten there is no problem and the meds are, for us, not just uneffective but dangerous. Be careful if you decide to medicate and make sure family is aware also of the danger. I had one child who started cutting on meds and became suicidal and another who became frankly psychotic and was at risk of harming others as well as himself. I just get suicidal :) .

My daughter is a celiac. I've often wondered where she got the genes for it.

My mom may be the grandparent who gave her the genetic tendancy for celiac disease. I've often thought so, because of my mom's mental problems. Mom's bipolar with schitzophrenic tendancies.

When Annie was only two and not yet diagnosed, we were seeing a lot of odd behaviors which reminded family members of my mom when mom was little. Now that Annie's on the celiac diet, I no longer hear family members say, "Boy, that really reminds me of your mom!"

Recently my mom has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. She's still mentally ill, not medicated, not on the celiac diet, and not willing to be tested.

Stick to the diet. I'm fairly certain that in years to come, science will discover a link -- genetically or just through malnutrition. All of the body's systems are connected. If the digestive system isn't working right, the other systems of the body will suffer, including the neurological system.

I certainly seemed bipolar and was tenatively diagnosed as one but instead I was finally diagnosed with a rare seizure disorder. The real key without the MRI was how much better I did on an antiseizure med. These symptoms did turn out to be gluten related though and not bipolar, or depression episodes or PMDD. The seizure activity is now closely associated with a glutening.

Interestingly enough after diagnosis I also stopped tapping my feet constantly, I can't even do it now if I try and I stopped the verbal 'tics' I had also. All related to the seizures, caused by gluten. I am 5 years into the diet now and the only time I get any symptoms of this sort is after gluten. This is also something that seems to effect my DS severely also. He displays all the classic symptoms of hypo and hyper mania when even a small amount of gluten crosses his path.

We both choose not to medicate as without gluten there is no problem and the meds are, for us, not just uneffective but dangerous. Be careful if you decide to medicate and make sure family is aware also of the danger. I had one child who started cutting on meds and became suicidal and another who became frankly psychotic and was at risk of harming others as well as himself. I just get suicidal :) .

Wow, this is really interesting. My dad was diagnosed with bipolar and a seizure disorder. He also had diabetes. Although there's no way to know for sure, I'm SURE he had Celiac. He ended up committing suicide by OD'ing on his medication.