Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have read in some post mentioning the SCD Diet. What is this?

I need to heal my intestines so would like someone to help point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Jason

Hope i dont become a nuisance but there are so many questions i need to ask

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Here are a couple of links to get you started...the first one has a lot of info on how to add foods, the second lists the legal/illegal foods:

http://www.pecanbread.com/foodprep.html#beyond

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/le...illegal_a-c.htm

You can also buy the book of the author who "created" the diet. It's called Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall. It goes into a lot of detail about how/why the diet is supposed to work. The websites mentioned above are also good. I've often thought about trying the diet because I'm still having diarrhea nearly three years after diagnosis, but the diet is very restrictive, and I can't bring myself to do it yet.

Good luck if you decide to do it!

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

I've been on the SCD for 1.5 years (minus dairy, nuts and beans) and it has helped me tremendously. I now have D 1-2 days per month instead of up to 8 times per night. As mentioned the pecanbread website is very useful and the book explains the theory behind the diet. The recipes in the book are aweful, but there are several other SCD cookbooks and recipes online that are pretty good.

PM me if you have questions.

After reading the SCD website, I realize that when I follow a similar diet I have pretty good results. The website helped clarify and make sense of why I can tolerate simple monosaccharide sugars such as fruit, but would get thrown off by something like natural root beer that has disaccharides.

For those who haven't tried it yet, it's doable. I've ridden my horse 4 times this week; it feels so good to feel good.

One thing I didn't understand was the reason for not allowing canned vegetables. Anyone know the reason?

It's claimed that sugar can be added without listing it on the ingredients label. Personally, I don't believe it (at least in the US) and I do eat canned carrots and beets with no ill effect.