Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

annie76

Stomach Flu, Or Gluten?

There had been some of the big D passing through my family, first with the boys, then hubby now me. They all had it for maybe a day or two, and it was just the D, no "down time." So, it hit me last Saturday, and I'm STILL sick. I've had the D, just a little here and there, stomach bloating, cramps, gurgles, nausea, and exaustion. So here it is Thursday, and I'm just curious if celiacs just get the stomach flu more hardcore than most people or something? Theres no possible glutening in sight, but my little monthly friend is almost here, and my PMS usually brings these symptoms too. I hate not knowing what is wrong with me, seriously, I'm having flashbacks to my sick days! Any celiacs with the flu? <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There had been some of the big D passing through my family, first with the boys, then hubby now me. They all had it for maybe a day or two, and it was just the D, no "down time." So, it hit me last Saturday, and I'm STILL sick. I've had the D, just a little here and there, stomach bloating, cramps, gurgles, nausea, and exaustion. So here it is Thursday, and I'm just curious if celiacs just get the stomach flu more hardcore than most people or something? Theres no possible glutening in sight, but my little monthly friend is almost here, and my PMS usually brings these symptoms too. I hate not knowing what is wrong with me, seriously, I'm having flashbacks to my sick days! Any celiacs with the flu? <_<

Dear annie76,

Stomach bugs do tend to hit us harder. I am terribly paranoid about these illnesses. It typically takes me an entire month to get rid of the stomach flu if I catch it. I know others on the forum have mentioned that they too, take quite some time to recover compared to non-Celiacs. Our digestive tracts are more sensitive than a lot of other people's. I take probiotics to reduce my chances of catching them. These good bugs also reduce the severity in the event a bug is caught. I hope you feel better soon!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville