Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lob6796

Another Period Question

I went to the doc yesterday because of an unrelated issue and while I was there they asked when my last period was. Now this wasn't my regular doc, he was out so I was seeing a nurse practitioner. I can't remember the last time I had my period. Some time before I had my daughter probably? She is 2.5. I was on depoprovera for a bit after I had her, but I honestly can't remember the last time I had my period. I meant to ask and forgot, the other woman's post reminded me. Could this be a symptom of the celiac? She seemed concerned about it, but I hadn't really thought about it.. "don't rock the boat!" if you know what I mean. She wants me to mention it to my regular doc next time I see him, so I thought I'd ask around here to get some input before I do. I suppose it is strange but, oh well! LOL

~Sorry for the million questions, I really want to learn as much as I can!~

04/07 - Diagnosed Fibromyalgia

05/07 -Diagnosed Celiac from test & symptoms - scheduled for biopsy

~Also intolerant to milk, soy & beef

Daughter - 2yo - tested negative 03/07 for Celiac

-allergic to milk and soy

-retesting Celiac soon due to symptoms~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would Google Depoprovera ... Hormonal contraception can have long term effects with some women. I have heard of this happening (I used to teach natural family planning).

Also, if you've gotten thin from the celiac, it's normal to stop having periods if your body fat gets too low (or too high). Estrogen is fat soluble.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Hmm...

I'm not really sure... periods, celiac, and birth control are all things that seem to be so variable between everyone. It would make sense that period issues would go along with celiac- if one is already malnourished as a result of celiac, then not getting periods would make sense.

Depo Provera is such scary stuff. I've only talked to a couple people who had any luck with it, but I've talked to a great deal of people who tried it and had tons of nasty side effects. It's supposed to make bleeding stop pretty much all together, but that didn't happen at all for me. When I was on my second shot, I bled for about two weeks. On my third shot, I bled for nearly six weeks. I had to start regular birth control pills while the depo was still in my system to get the bleeding to stop. In addition, I felt more depressed than usual and just felt odd, not myself.

Sorry I can't be much help, just though I'd offer some of my experience.

Liz

GLUTEN FREE 06/13/07

kilcan,

I have read almost everywhere that Celiac and irregular menses are related. I haven't had my period in almost 5 months. Last year, I had it for 90 days in a ROW!!! :( My ob/gyn doesn;t really know why this is happening, but I have lost a bit of weight in the recent months, so that could be why. Good luck.

Kassandra

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

I went to the doc yesterday because of an unrelated issue and while I was there they asked when my last period was. Now this wasn't my regular doc, he was out so I was seeing a nurse practitioner. I can't remember the last time I had my period. Some time before I had my daughter probably? She is 2.5. I was on depoprovera for a bit after I had her, but I honestly can't remember the last time I had my period. I meant to ask and forgot, the other woman's post reminded me. Could this be a symptom of the celiac? She seemed concerned about it, but I hadn't really thought about it.. "don't rock the boat!" if you know what I mean. She wants me to mention it to my regular doc next time I see him, so I thought I'd ask around here to get some input before I do. I suppose it is strange but, oh well! LOL

Here's an interesting link for you. Go to C. Additional Conditions. Then you can right click on the first one if you want more information.

It definately can be related to celiac disease.

Sorry!!!! here's the link:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/celiac_symptoms.php

Guest j_mommy

I am on Depo...I do 6 months depo and then 6 months Yaz. I don't really have any negative side affects from depo.

But my Dr told me that not having my period afterward is a side affect. Some people do get their period on Depo(some for extended periods of time), I do not. Just thought I'd share teh info I've learned abotu it!

My friend has had lots of period problems....she would get it for 3 months and then not have it for awhile. Now she takes meds to start and stop her period....they are trying to have another baby. She has give up on Reg docs and goes to an obgyn instead...she has had luck there.

I am on Depo...I do 6 months depo and then 6 months Yaz. I don't really have any negative side affects from depo.

But my Dr told me that not having my period afterward is a side affect. Some people do get their period on Depo(some for extended periods of time), I do not. Just thought I'd share teh info I've learned abotu it!

My friend has had lots of period problems....she would get it for 3 months and then not have it for awhile. Now she takes meds to start and stop her period....they are trying to have another baby. She has give up on Reg docs and goes to an obgyn instead...she has had luck there.

I don't get my period while I am on depo. I've stopped taking depo because it causes irreversible bone loss. Off of depo though, I normally get my period (in the past) after 3 mos or so. In 3 years I've probably been on depo for 6 months.

I might see an obgyn about it... I don't have one at the moment but it may be worth looking into. Hopefully she will know something about celiac too :)

~Sorry for the million questions, I really want to learn as much as I can!~

04/07 - Diagnosed Fibromyalgia

05/07 -Diagnosed Celiac from test & symptoms - scheduled for biopsy

~Also intolerant to milk, soy & beef

Daughter - 2yo - tested negative 03/07 for Celiac

-allergic to milk and soy

-retesting Celiac soon due to symptoms~