This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Symptoms

slowdown

slowdown Newbie

Hi,

I have a question about symptoms of celiac disease.

I have not actually been diagnosed as of yet. I had a positive blood test a few months back, and a biopsy about two weeks ago, which I am still awaiting the results for. My mother also has it, so when I began to notice symptoms celiac was one of the first things it was thought to be.

I have been having symptoms characteristic of celiac for the past year, including fatigue and digestion problems. I have also been experiencing depression and anxiety problems though.

The cases of depression seem to be completely random, but occur mostly when my stomach problems and fatigue are particularly bad. Anxiety seems to occur in mostly social situations, and within the last while that I have changed from being fairly outgoing to retreating from the situations that causes these problems.

Are these symptoms which are associated with celiac? It has become a particular problem in the last while and I am hoping it will get better as I get the final say on whether I have it or not and on to recovery.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Murph Newbie

Yes all that can be caused by celiac.

Since you've done all the testing, are u 100% gluten-free?

It's pretty hard at first, with so many sneaky sources of it. One of the early mistakes I made was not changing toothpaste.

slowdown Newbie

As far as I know I am pretty much eating gluten-free now, though I am not 100% positive on that.

As you said, there can be some sneaky sources of gluten. Now I figure I just need to get the hang of identifying the ingredients which I would not associate with gluten.

I never did think of toothpaste as a possibility though, I should probably check on that.

newlyfree Rookie
I have also been experiencing depression and anxiety problems though.

The cases of depression seem to be completely random, but occur mostly when my stomach problems and fatigue are particularly bad. Anxiety seems to occur in mostly social situations, and within the last while that I have changed from being fairly outgoing to retreating from the situations that causes these problems.

Are these symptoms which are associated with celiac? It has become a particular problem in the last while and I am hoping it will get better as I get the final say on whether I have it or not and on to recovery.

Hi - welcome!

Depression and anxiety are indeed associated with Celiac Disease. I'm sure some of the people on this board will know more about this than me, but what I've read says over 90% of the serotonin in your body comes from the intestines. Serotonin levels are believed to be directly associated with mood disorders.

So if something is affecting your intestines, it's also affecting your ability to produce serotonin, and your moods can swing, depression and anxiety can ensue. Luckily, a lot of people (myself included) experience tremendous relief from these symptoms after going gluten-free, but it can take a while for the moods to even out.

CarlaB Enthusiast

With a positive blood test, I would go gluten-free regardless of the results of the biopsy. The biopsy can prove celiac, but cannot rule it out.

All of your symptoms can be caused by celiac. It's a systemic disesase that can affect many bodily systems. It's not "just" a GI disease.

I hope you've started the diet!

Guest j_mommy

I was in your same position....blood test and then a month later biopsy. I held off doing the gluten-free diet until after the biopsy and then started. Since you biopsy is done I would go ahead with teh gluten-free diet!

Your symptoms definetly sound like celiac...plus you have the +blood tests!

I had made up my mind before I had the biopsy....after it I was going gluten-free reguardless what the biopsy said. Anything to feel better! My biopsy was +, I'm guessing your's will be too. Even if it's negative(and hopefully they took 5-10 samples as celiac can affect one area and not the next)...it wouldn't hurt to go gluten-free...to see if your symptoms improve!

Good Luck to you!

mftnchn Explorer

Hi, just an encouragement if you have started the diet, it just might take a lwhile to see the results. Hang in there!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

slowdown Newbie

I had already started the diet after the biopsy; I wasn't going to wait for the results.

I have been on it for about a week or so now, but the only changes I have noticed so far is that the feeling of fatigue occurs less frequently...still a much welcome improvement though.

I realize that the repairs cannot happen all at once, but I am only young and I don't believe I have been suffering with it for too long.

I look forward to when the damage has been repaired and I get back to feeling 100%....I don't even remember what that feels like anymore :P

Archived