Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mama2two

Gluten-free Fast Foods?

Ditto for having worked at McD's. Just don't do it..everything is all over everything, and I have yet to see a dedicated fryer (there is a steel divider but the oil passes through the back). I didn't even want to attempt making myself something to eat because there were crumbs everywhere from the buns.

I am not sure where you worked at McDonalds....but it depends on the location. I worked at mcdonalds for 3 years(yuck) but there fries are in a dedicated fryer. A whole fryer not even near the other fryers. As for the meat, could get cross contamination...but I watch and tell them how important it is. That way my son can be happy for a few minutes

RideAllWays,

I don't know what McD you worked at. Perhaps it was a food court or WalMart one.

The full layout standalone outlets have dedicated fry stations at the front for potato products, operated by the window crew. They are used exclusively for hash browns during breakfast service, and fries the rest of the day. Everything else is fried in the back by the grill crew. Anyone caught putting anything other than potatoes in the potato fryer will be warned once, and fired if caught a second time. This is not to protect us from gluten--it is to ensure that the fries do not have their flavor tainted. :huh:

There is a cc risk at any fast food establishment.

I always specifically ask that the person preparing my food change their gloves first, and the cashiers and managers have always been really careful about watching to make sure that happens. I've never had a bad experience with someone using bun-contaminated gloves to make my food, even when the people making it weren't English speakers.

The busier the fast food place, the more likely they are to have a dedicated fryer. It's better for them to have multiple isolated fryers in case one breaks or needs to be cleaned - they don't have to shut down the whole thing for that one fryer bin.