This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Don't Want To Go To The Doctor...again

bakinghomesteader

bakinghomesteader Contributor

Just found this site. Could someone help me? I have a few questions. This may be long :unsure:

History--I am a 31 year old female. Diagnosed with myasthenia gravis in 1998. Osteopenia in early 2000 sometimes, also, poor memory :blink: I had a thymectomy 2 years ago, cervical cancer last March, and a D & C with a colposcopy.

Symptoms---constipation

extreme bloating after eating Grape Nuts and other like cereals (look 6 mos preg)

bloating after meals

bloating sometimes after a few bites of food

joint pain

occasional migraines

occasional heartburn

brain fog

fatigue

mild depression

osteopenia

irregular menses since Feb (usually like clockwork)

I had a colonoscopy done recently that showed inflammation in some spots. I was told it was from excessive laxitive use. I didn't use them excessively. Sent me on my way and no further followup. I am sooo frustrated.

I am a country girl and bake everything from scratch. We eat all natural, no preservatives, no processed food, etc. I still feel horrible when I eat. So I decided that I would go gluten free for 2 weeks seeing as that is what a doc here would tell me to do anyway. My bloating has gone down. I feel like I am actually digesting my food. Also, I AM GOING TO THE BATHROOM NOW! No heartburn. Not as sluggish. I have only been doing this for 2 days so far. Am I crazy?

Anyway, I don't want to go back to the doc and spend more money we don't have. I thought if this is what makes me feel better, and they would tell me to go on a gluten-free diet if I was celiac, then why not try this first.

Thanks for reading. I will have more questions about cross contamination later. I bake all our bread, well everything, from scratch, so I need to know how not to cross contaminate. I use glass baking pans.

Bakinghomesteader

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice

Welcome. :)

I'm glad you are seeing some relief in a gluten free diet and yes people can feel differently after only a couple of days.

Many doctors would want you to continue to eat gluten, it is called a gluten challenge, long enough for you to damage the villi so that they could see the damage and tell you not to eat gluten. :rolleyes::lol:

I follow a gluten free diet because I know gluten makes me sick. I have seen doctors who were very unhelpful but then I've been told I am a difficult patient. :ph34r::lol:

This is a great site, lots of friendly support and knowledgeable gluten free cooks.

AndreaB Contributor

You don't need a doctor's permission to go gluten free. If you can live with dietary response then there is no need of further testing.

Your glass cookware is perfectly fine to use. The things you need to worry about with cross contamination is non stick and plastic.

Lisa Mentor

Welcome, your have found yourself a wonderful place here.

You certainly have many of the 200 symptoms of Celiac Disease.

If you have no need for further testing nor the expense, there is no reason not to try the gluten free diet.

It, in the beginning can be very complicated, but it appears that you have educated yourself and that's half the battle. There are many advanced bakers here and they show us their photo's to all of us of their goodies (to make us drool), so there is not need to deprive yourself in any manner. It is just a change.

Remember to check your lotions, shampoo, and lipstick or lip balm.

This is a full service board, so please feel free to ask anything.

Thank you all so much fo replying. I was doing ok yesterday until I ate some Frito Corn Chips. Afterwards, I got a belly ache and gasey. :unsure: So I thought, well I won' eat those. I made my family bread yesterday (with gluten) and wondered how should I clean the countertop. It gets messy with kneading and rolling and such. Do I use bleach? Also, I use a Kitchenaid mixer. Can I use this for me, too then. It is stainless steel. Sorry for all the questions.

Bakinghomesteader

aikiducky Apprentice

I'm afraid you might find with time that continuing to bake with regular gluten flour and not getting sick from it from time to time is not really possible. Flour gets airborne and settles everywhere, and as you said it's difficult to clean everything thoroughly. Take care to clean your hands very very well, especially under your fingernails! Wearing a mask over your mouth and nose might be an idea, that way you don't breathe in the flour dust (if you breathe it in, some will inevitably end up in your stomach, because the nose and throat are connected).

Bleach doesn't really help because gluten isn't a bacteria that you need to kill... soap and water will work just as well, but take care to scrub very thoroughly because gluten is the thing that makes dough sticky, it's the "glue" in dough, so it will be the last thing to clean off.

The mixer, again it really depends on how well you can get all the gluten cleaned from any little corners and crevices there might be. Personally I'd prefer not using the same appliance alternating with gluten and gluten free.

I know it's tough to even think about giving up something like baking for your family, but my personal opinion is that it would be safer. I know there are people on the board here who do continue to bake with gluten flour though, maybe some of them have tips as well. :)

Pauliina

rinne Apprentice

It was when I worked in a bakery that I first became really aware that I had a problem, I would go home from work feeling like I had a hangover.

I'd say there are lots of gluten free baked goods that you can make that your family will enjoy.

And.

Perhaps it wasn't the corn chips, perhaps it was the baking. :(

It took me some time before I asked my husband for a gluten free kitchen but I am really glad that I did because it means my kitchen is a safe place for me. I don't know how your family would feel about that and perhaps you want to try to accomodate them but it is a possibility.

There are also people on this board who do have family that eat gluten and I am sure they will have lots of good tips for you. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

Stainless steel cleans easily. I don't know how easy it is to clean the rest of the mixer though. Just be thorough and it should be fine.

Fritos have made me sick if I ate too many......cross contamination.

Otherwise, as others have said flour dust can cause problems.

Wow. I had no idea. My husband said that he would be willing to try some gluten free bread that I would make. He said the hard thing would be my cinnamon rolls. I got my recipe published in the newspaper because they were so good. :P I would not know how to modify that recipe for gluten free. :( Some things are taking a getting used to. But I tell ya, I have not felt this well in a LONG time. :lol:

I actually came to tears last night. It doesn't kill me to get up and down like it used to. I just blamed it on my MG, but my muscle pain and joint pain are tremendously better. It is unreal. I just can't believe it.

Thank you all for your help

Bakinghomesteader

Archived