Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

luv2cook

Comparing French Bread

I can't decide which of these french bread recipes to make. I hear Bette Hagman's are good, but there are two different ones:

Rapid-Rise French Bread

More From The Gluten-Free Gourmet

2 cups white rice flour

1 cup tapioca flour

3 teaspoons xanthan gum

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons egg replacer (optional)

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

2 tablespoons rapid-rise yeast

2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

3 egg whites, beaten slightly

1 teaspoon vinegar

Melted butter for brushing, optional

In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, place flours, xanthan gum, salt and Egg Replacer (if used). Blend with mixer on low.

Dissolve the sugar in the water and add the yeast. Wait until the mixture foams slightly, then blend into the dry ingredients. Add the butter, egg whites, and vinegar. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.

To form loaves, spoon dough onto greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheets in two long French-loaf shapes or spoon into special French-bread pans. Slash diagonally every few inches. If desired, brush with melted butter.

Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 25 minutes. Preheat oven to 400. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from pan to cool. Makes 2 loaves.

OR

French Bread

The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread

The measurements in parentheses are for a bigger batch/bread.

French bread mix:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've made the second one and it's very good! My family loved it.

Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07

Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8

Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy

gluten-free 3/7/07

I've made the first one and love it. I could probably eat a whole loaf in one sitting :) I was a little disappointed that it didn't taste too great on day 2, but that could be an issue with my cooking skills since it tastes fine day 2 when my mum makes it. It never lasts past day 2. This recipe is great for fondue.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

I've made the rapid-rise recipe many times, haven't made the second one. And you can substitute regular yeast in the rapid-rise recipe, it just takes longer to rise. My family loves it, but it's best right out of the oven and torn into pieces - you can't cut it with a knife well until it cools. It freezes well wrapped in foil, just heat in the oven and serve warm. It makes awesome french bread pizzas - cut in half in both directions and top all 4 pieces with sauce and cheese. At this point I vacuum seal them and freeze. Later I pop them in the oven for 15-20 minutes and they come out with a nice crunch.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

Thanks for the opinions, DH's birthday is next week, and making a nice gluten-free, DF dinner and cheesecake from mock sour cream and cream cheese. I'm thinking gluten-free spaghetti, homemade italian sauce, salad, and french bread.