Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest j_mommy

Gummie Worms...

Guest j_mommy

The gummie worms have natural and artifical flavoring and I didn't realize they were made in Mexico.....could they have gluten even if they were sold here(in US)???? I am having a reaction from something and the only other questionable thing would be cheese(could be reacting form dairy) but the symptoms came after I ate eth gummie worms!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The gummie worms have natural and artifical flavoring and I didn't realize they were made in Mexico.....could they have gluten even if they were sold here(in US)???? I am having a reaction from something and the only other questionable thing would be cheese(could be reacting form dairy) but the symptoms came after I ate eth gummie worms!

I had the same concerns as you for a bit about food made in other countries. I discovered that the FDA requires all food that comes into the country to follow the same guidelines that we use as far as disclosure and labeling etc. However there is always a need to check ambiguous 'flavors' and also companies are not required to tell us of any CC risk. The best way to tell if it was the cheese or the worms would be to wait until your feeling better and then try each again and to make sure when you try the other that they are seperated by at least a week.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Well i eat gummy worms all the time and i have never had a problem, i am not sure were mine are made tho cause im currently out of them, i buy hte 5 pound bag from city market for 6 bucks and only eat hte red and white ones lol, When i go buy some more tho im going to see were they are made lol

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

There are a lot of Hispanics in the neighborhood where I live and therefore lots of food from Mexico in grocery stores, etc. I have found that a lot of the food from Mexico is labeled better than the food processed in US. It seems like they are more willing go beyond just following the guidelines and be more specific about the labeling. If labels were produced before the guidelines went into effect, can they still be used? I am asking because I don't always see major allergents listed on foods processed in US. Just curious!!