This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gummie Worms...

Guest j_mommy

Guest j_mommy

The gummie worms have natural and artifical flavoring and I didn't realize they were made in Mexico.....could they have gluten even if they were sold here(in US)???? I am having a reaction from something and the only other questionable thing would be cheese(could be reacting form dairy) but the symptoms came after I ate eth gummie worms!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
The gummie worms have natural and artifical flavoring and I didn't realize they were made in Mexico.....could they have gluten even if they were sold here(in US)???? I am having a reaction from something and the only other questionable thing would be cheese(could be reacting form dairy) but the symptoms came after I ate eth gummie worms!

I had the same concerns as you for a bit about food made in other countries. I discovered that the FDA requires all food that comes into the country to follow the same guidelines that we use as far as disclosure and labeling etc. However there is always a need to check ambiguous 'flavors' and also companies are not required to tell us of any CC risk. The best way to tell if it was the cheese or the worms would be to wait until your feeling better and then try each again and to make sure when you try the other that they are seperated by at least a week.

confused Community Regular

Well i eat gummy worms all the time and i have never had a problem, i am not sure were mine are made tho cause im currently out of them, i buy hte 5 pound bag from city market for 6 bucks and only eat hte red and white ones lol, When i go buy some more tho im going to see were they are made lol

paula

sparkles Contributor

There are a lot of Hispanics in the neighborhood where I live and therefore lots of food from Mexico in grocery stores, etc. I have found that a lot of the food from Mexico is labeled better than the food processed in US. It seems like they are more willing go beyond just following the guidelines and be more specific about the labeling. If labels were produced before the guidelines went into effect, can they still be used? I am asking because I don't always see major allergents listed on foods processed in US. Just curious!!

Archived