This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Mash Potatoes Helping?

whattodo

whattodo Enthusiast

I have had a constant pain in my stomach for 8 months and it hardly gets better to the point that i do not notice it. I wake up in the morning and go to sleep with the same pain.

I have been gluten free now for 1 month and the pain is as bad a before. I hope it completely goes soon. I know it could be a while....

During the biopsy the noticed that my duodenal tube was inflammed but diagnosis was negative for celiac disease.

Anyway, getting to the point 3 days ago i decided to have mash potatoes. The following day my tummy wasnt hurting (well until the evening). For 2 more days after that I had mash potatoes with my meal and my stomach was not as painful as before. I am just wondering if it is the mash potatoes healping my stomach or is it just a coincidence. I must stress that the pain comes back after my evening meal (Really Bloated like my insides are tearing)

What do you think?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

I don't know if mashed potatoes have some sort of healing capabilities, but I find plain potatoes (boiled or baked) calm my stomach down too. No butter or sour cream, just EVOO + salt.

You would probably find you'e in less pain if you stick to bland foods at this point. Baked or boiled chicken or fish, peas, asparagus, applesauce, etc.

Then add other foods in slowly once your stomach has been completely calm for a few days.

Now, I'm hungry .... Marcia

confusedks Enthusiast

whattodo,

That is really interesting because I had a naturopath tell me a while ago before I knew about my gluten problem, that I should eat potato soup (DAIRY FREE.) She told me it would be really soothing on my stomach. It's easy to digest and it fills you up and there IS something in potatoes that is healing. We used gluten-free chicken or vegetable broth (don't remember which one) and some garlic and onions and chopped potatoes and let it simmer. It made good, kinda bland, soup. She told me to have some EVERYDAY!!! It did help.

Kassandra

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't know why, but when I have an upset stomach or have been glutened, mashed potatoes--or a baked potato is very soothing.

Potatoes and bananas are my very favorite comfort/feel good foods. :)

laurie1067 Contributor
I have had a constant pain in my stomach for 8 months and it hardly gets better to the point that i do not notice it. I wake up in the morning and go to sleep with the same pain.

I have been gluten free now for 1 month and the pain is as bad a before. I hope it completely goes soon. I know it could be a while....

During the biopsy the noticed that my duodenal tube was inflammed but diagnosis was negative for celiac disease.

Anyway, getting to the point 3 days ago i decided to have mash potatoes. The following day my tummy wasnt hurting (well until the evening). For 2 more days after that I had mash potatoes with my meal and my stomach was not as painful as before. I am just wondering if it is the mash potatoes healping my stomach or is it just a coincidence. I must stress that the pain comes back after my evening meal (Really Bloated like my insides are tearing)

Was do you think?

You are not imagining that potatoes are helping you, and it's not a coincidence. :) Potatoes always make me feel better so I just googled "potatoes + stomach" and found this great article about the healing properties of potatoes.

Open Original Shared Link

The potatoes are probably absorbing some of your acid and helping to sooth those inflamed linings in your tummy and bowels.

Archived